This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.217 / 52°13'1"N
Longitude: -0.1683 / 0°10'5"W
OS Eastings: 525234
OS Northings: 259226
OS Grid: TL252592
Mapcode National: GBR J42.SCG
Mapcode Global: VHGMH.1JDS
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51132
Location: Croxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Croxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Croxton St James
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 25 N CROXTON CROXTON PARK
6/107 CHURCH OF ST JAMES
Parish Church. Chancel, nave and aisles late C13, partly rebuilt late C14
and C15. Tower c.1500. North doorway C14 possibly rebuilt 1622. Nave and
aisle roofs 1659. Chancel restored 1806 (shortened in medieval times).
South aisle rebuilt 1904, and north porch in 1907, tower and spire restored
1919. Walls of field stones partly plastered, tower of limestone ashlar,
dressings of clunch and freestone. Roofs of lead and slates. North
elevation. Tower of three stages with embattled parapet and first stage
string-course enriched with paterae. Corner pinnacles and gargoyles, angle
buttresses. Belfry window of two-cinquefoil-lights. North aisle, clasping
buttresses, two C15 three-cinquefoil-light windows with vertical tracery in
four-centred heads. Modern porch rebuilt with early carved stones. Aisle
parapet with C17 finials. Chancel, blocked north doorway with ogee head
inscribed 'EL 1622', late C13 two-light window restored. Interior: North
doorway, two continuous ovolo-moulded orders with doorway and stairs to
chamber originally over north porch. C17 door with embattled moulding and
applied semi-circular gadrooned background to carving of Virgin and Child.
Nave arcades, C13 of three bays with octagonal piers each with moulded caps
and bases and two-centred arches of two-chamfered orders, above arcades are
roundels carved with octofoils and crosses. Tower arch of three-chamfered
orders on semi octagonal shafts with moulded bases and caps enriched with
tudor roses. Chancel arch of two chamfered orders. Nave and aisle roofs
reconstructed in 1659 with 'TST' inscribed on tie beam. Four large, carved
angels with Leeds arms in corner of nave roof. Two C15 parclose screens,
with ogee heads to open tracery at east end of north and south aisles.
Chancel screen dated 1923. C15 pews with panels of carved tracery. Font,
C13 octagonal bowl. Late medieval stained glass. C17 Cromwellian table,
hexagonal C18 pulpit. For monuments see RCHM.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p326
RCHM West Cambs. p63, mon.1
VCH, Vol. V, p44
Listing NGR: TL2523459226
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings