History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist and St Pandionia

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eltisley, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2206 / 52°13'14"N

Longitude: -0.1446 / 0°8'40"W

OS Eastings: 526841

OS Northings: 259664

OS Grid: TL268596

Mapcode National: GBR J43.L8N

Mapcode Global: VHGMH.FGX1

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist and St Pandionia

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51158

Location: Eltisley, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Eltisley

Built-Up Area: Eltisley

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Eltisley St Pandionia and St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Papworth Everard

Listing Text

TL 2659-2759 ELTISLEY THE GREEN
(South Side)

11/123 Parish Church of
St John the
31.a.62 Baptist and St
Pandionia

GV II*

Parish Church. Nave and aisles c.1200 with north chapel added and chancel
rebuilt or extended in C13, replaced in white brick c.1840. Clerestorey
remodelled and tower and spire added C15. Chancel and north chapel rebuilt
c.1840. Restoration 1875-9. Walls of pebble rubble with limestone and
clunch dressings and C19 white brick. Roofs of lead and slate. South
elevation: Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, plastered to
second stage, with embattled parapet. Belfry window with restored
Y-tracery. Octagonal spire with crocketed gablets to spire lights. Tower
clock, C18, placed in tower in 1893 with weights contained in external wooden
box. Nave roof with bell turret and cross finial to parapet gable; three
C19 two-light clerestorey windows, two C19 three-light aisle windows. C19
porch; original south doorway with dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs with
moulded caps and bases. Chancel of white brick with reset south doorway.
Interior: Nave arcades of three bays with some restoration. Two-centred
arches of single chamfered order with chamfered labels, circular piers with
stiff-leaf and water-leaf carved capitals. C13 chancel arch of two chamfered
orders with moulded labels and mask stops. Font, C13 with octagonal bowl and
carved C17 pyramidal cover. Tomb recess in north chapel, C14 with moulded
and crocketed label stopped with lion and woman's heads, two mutilated C13
figures, a robed figure and knight in chain mail. For other monuments and
floor slabs see RCHM.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p90, mon. 1
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p337
V.C.H. Vol. V, pp55, 57


Listing NGR: TL2684159664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.