This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2971 / 52°17'49"N
Longitude: -0.037 / 0°2'13"W
OS Eastings: 533959
OS Northings: 268367
OS Grid: TL339683
Mapcode National: GBR K4L.X2B
Mapcode Global: VHGM5.9JSD
Entry Name: The Homestead
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50976
Location: Fen Drayton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Fen Drayton
Built-Up Area: Fen Drayton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Fen Drayton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3268-3368 FEN DRAYTON HIGH STREET
13/67 The Homestead
House. Early C16 and c.1730. Dark red brick, rubbed brick and
limestone dressings. Plain tile roofs. Two storeys with attics
and basements; rear wing part of original timber framed building
on site. Five symmetrical 'bays'. Main entrance approached by
semi circular stone steps; eight-panelled door shaped to
segmental arch with dentil enriched pedimented wooden doorcase.
Five first floor and two ground floor original twelve-paned hung
sash windows shaped to segmental rubbed brick arches with stone
key blocks and sills; two windows to right hand of door with
similar details are C20 replacements of C19 inserted three-light
hung sash windows. Plinth, and brick band between floors.
Shaped gable parapets with limestone copings and stone dressings
to end stacks. Two blind basement windows. Interior. Original
hall and parlour plan with complete rooms of raised and fielded
pine panelling, doors and doorcases. Some original chimney
pieces and flanking cupboards, very fine open string staircase
rising to attic floors. Moulded ceiling cornices with dentil
enrichment. The house is said to have been built for a corn
R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes), 1950
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.385
Listing NGR: TL3395668359
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings