This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2546 / 52°15'16"N
Longitude: -0.0697 / 0°4'11"W
OS Eastings: 531854
OS Northings: 263578
OS Grid: TL318635
Mapcode National: GBR K54.M5Q
Mapcode Global: VHGMB.QLZH
Entry Name: Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50955
Location: Elsworth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Elsworth
Built-Up Area: Elsworth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Elsworth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3063-3163 ELSWORTH THE CAUSEWAY
12/46 Parish Church
31.8.62 of Holy Trinity
Parish church. Early C14 with C13 chancel arch and late
medieval South porch. Roofs rebuilt in C16 and C17.
Restoration 1876-7 and north aisle and part of north chancel
wall rebuilt in 1891-2 by W.M. Fawcett. Limestone and pebble
rubble partly rendered with limestone dressings. Lead roofs.
south elevation; west tower of two stages, embattled parapet,
moulded plinth band continuous around angle buttresses of three
stages rising to crocketed pinnacles, projecting semi octagonal
stair turret in south-east angle with pyramidal stone capping;
belfry window of two ogee-trefoiled-lights with quatrefoil in
head. South aisle and nave with moulded cornice. Clerestorey
with four restored quatrefoil-lights, three bay buttressed south
aisle with continuous band below windows raised above south
doorway, two windows of three-lights with net tracery and mask
stops to labels. South doorway of two continuous wave-moulded
orders; south porch of two chamfered orders rising from moulded
jambs with attached shafts and moulded caps, niche and sundial
dated 1628 above. Chancel of three bays. 'Low side' window
sealed from interior with original iron hooks and bars,
four-light cinquefoil window in flat arch above and two
three-light windows with net tracery, walls raised for new
roof. Interior. Nave arcade of four bays with arches of two
wave-moulded orders with filleted quatrefoil piers and rolls
between moulded caps and bases. Tower arch of three
wave-moulded orders, the inner rising from semi octagonal
responds, evidence for vaulted tower ceiling. Chancel arch of
two hollow-chamfered orders rising from short triple shafts on
corbels with moulded caps. Double piscina with two, trefoiled
arches and two drains possibly earlier and sedilia with
trefoiled ogee heads; also piscina in north and south aisles.
Roofs of nave aisles and chancel C16 or C17 of eight bays and
five bays with plain chamfered timbers, eleven carved figures in
C19 nave roof of six bays with stencilled decoration. Octagonal
early C14 font with moulded base. For monuments and floor slabs
see R.C.H.M. Pulpit late medieval restored. Pews in north and
south aisles restored with carved poppy heads. Stalls in
chancel C16 and earlier, backed by linen fold panelling.
Reredos used as partition wall to vestry in north aisle;
pedimented centre piece with paired Ionic columns installed by
Elizabeth Holworthy c.1750 (William Cole). Communion rails C18.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs p.83, mon.1
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.336
Evans, E. The Church and Village of Elsworth 1981
Listing NGR: TL3185463578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings