This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3184 / 52°19'6"N
Longitude: 0.0127 / 0°0'45"E
OS Eastings: 537281
OS Northings: 270824
OS Grid: TL372708
Mapcode National: GBR K4G.Q08
Mapcode Global: VHHJG.5ZKM
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50835
Location: Over, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Over
Built-Up Area: Over
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Over St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3770 OVER CHURCH END
31.8.62 No 4 (The Vicarage)
House. 1727 probably for Dr Bentley, Classical Scholar and
Master of Trinity College, Cambridge. Minor additions of c.1840
at rear. Yellow gault brick with red brick dressings. Tiled
roof, hipped, with wood dentil eaves cornice. End stacks.
Double pile. Two storeys and attic. Two dormers, each with a
sixteen pane hung sash. Facade framed by red brick rusticated
quoins and divided by a red brick band with moulded upper and
lower edges. Gauged red brick segmental arches and rusticated
surrounds to four window openings at first floor, one blocked
mid C20. Open boxing, painted white, to two twelve pane hung
sashes with segmental top panes. The third window is narrower
and of only eight panes. Similar fenestration at ground floor
on either side of doorway. The original red brick doorway
surround is partly visible. The present doorcase is C19. At
the rear is an early C19 addition of grey gault brick.
Interior: The hall, one ground floor room and rooms at first
floor are lined with plain, sunk panelling with moulded double
cornice and bolection moulded dado. The staircase is also
original and of six flights and two landings with similar
panelling below the bolection moulded dado. Open string with
slender, vase shaped balusters, three to each tread, with
curtail and scroll tread ends and swept, toads back rail. Boxed
and panelled main beams. One abutting corner fireplace to each
of four ground floor rooms. In c.1840 the left hand, ground
floor room was converted to a parish room and access was from a
doorway in the addition. The house was to be "fit for the
reception of a person of rank and quality". It was insisted
that brick from "beyond London" was to be used.
Joan I. Bold. History of Over, Cambridgeshire (1958)
Rev. G.F.S. Gray. Over and Its Church p.9
Listing NGR: TL3728170824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings