History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Landbeach, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2666 / 52°15'59"N

Longitude: 0.1624 / 0°9'44"E

OS Eastings: 547658

OS Northings: 265358

OS Grid: TL476653

Mapcode National: GBR L6K.ZVC

Mapcode Global: VHHJX.R9Q9

Plus Code: 9F427586+JX

Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50652

Location: Landbeach, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Landbeach

Built-Up Area: Landbeach

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Landbeach All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/03/2017

TL 47658 65358,

Parish Church of All Saints

(Formerly listed as located on: HIGH STREET (East Side))




Parish Church. C13 chancel extended mid C14 and west tower
rebuilt, spire late C14, nave arcades and aisle C14. Clerestorey
added and aisles widened with south porch mid C15. Nave roof,
C15 with reused C14 tie beams, restored in mansard form possibly
by John Tinkler, Rector in C19. South aisle window replaced in
restoration of 1878 and vestry built on site of former Lady
Chapel demolished in C18 by Robert Masters. North aisle and
nave roof restored by Rattee and Kett in 1983. Flint and rubble
walls plastered, with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of
lead and plain tiles. South elevation; Tower of three stages
with moulded plinth band and embattled parapet with corner
gargoyles and four stage angle buttresses. Two-light, Y-tracery
belfry window. Spire with spire lights alternating on each
face. Embattled parapet to nave clerestorey with four windows
of trefoiled-lights in two-centred arches. South-aisle windows
partly restored of three cinquefoil-lights in two-centred
arches. Chancel and nave with gable parapets. One two-light
chancel window in four-centred arch and C19 two-quatrefoil-light
window. South porch with stone date 1613 has two-centred arched
doorway and two reset gargoyles.

INTERIOR. Nave arcades of
four bays with octagonal clunch piers with moulded caps and
bases, and two-centred arches of two-chamfered orders. Nave
roof of four bays with carved angel hammer beams alternating
with earlier C14 tie beams, moulded principal timbers with
carved bosses at intersections and cornice and soffit of tie
beams enriched with fleurons and other details. Aisle roofs of
four bays with pierced decoration to braced wall posts supported
on carved angel corbels. North aisle, originally extended as a
chapel, rebuilt as C19 vestry and partly converted to organ
chamber. Chancel arch two-centred with two-chamfered orders,
semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Chancel
screen of three bays, ogee heads, restored, removed from tower
arch by Robert Masters. C19 scissor-braced roof. Tower arch
two-centred with two continuous orders to moulded plinth. Wall
painting in nave, modern font on medieval base. Piscenae and
stoup in south aisle, Easter Sepulchre altered as monument in
north aisle. C15 glass fragments in windows, some pieces
identified as Lady Margaret, foundress of St Johns and Christs
Colleges, and her parents John and Margaret Beaufort. Chancel
stalls with misericords , restored C15 pews, pulpit removed from
Jesus College in 1778 with carved panels of smiths tools.
Lectern possible C17, Dutch, wooden angel on pedestal. C13 tomb
canopy in nave, two boards of commandments. Monuments include
fine brass indents, tomb to Wm Master d. 1798.

C.A.S. Vol. 4 1876-1880, Walker, B.;
Wm. Cole, Sketch of Church 1745;
Clay, W. K., History of Landbeach, 1861;
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p. 421

Listing NGR: TL4765865358

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.