History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Disused Grand Stand to Former Race Course

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wothorpe, City of Peterborough

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6252 / 52°37'30"N

Longitude: -0.4712 / 0°28'16"W

OS Eastings: 503583

OS Northings: 304146

OS Grid: TF035041

Mapcode National: GBR FW5.FNX

Mapcode Global: WHGM3.Q8TS

Entry Name: Disused Grand Stand to Former Race Course

Listing Date: 10 April 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50506

Location: Wothorpe, Peterborough, PE9

County: City of Peterborough

Civil Parish: Wothorpe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Find accommodation in
Easton on the Hill

Listing Text

In the entry for:

1
5141 WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD
TF 00 SW Disused Grand Stand to
8/710 former race course
10.4.81
II

The grade and the description shall be amended to read:

TF OO SW WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD
987-0/8/710 Disused Grandstand to former
10.4.81 racecourse
II*
Racecourse grandstand. 1766, probably altered a little in early C19 and circa 1875. Rendered
brick with Ketton freestone dressings and limestone rubble. Later slate roofs largely collapsed.
Rectangular plan with stair tower at the back.2-storey 5-bay arcaded front has almost entirely
collapsed, but the 2-bay sides illustrate how the front appeared, with keystones to the large
round arches, the ground floor with imposts, the first floor with moulded extrados and
stringcourses above and at cill level; and with quoins at the corners. Short gable-ended wing
at centre at rear. The open-sided top storey, illustrated in William Kemp's plan of the
racecourse, was replaced by a pitched roof in the late C19. SOURCES: RCHME Stamford
inventory [1977], fig.5.

------------------------------------

1.
5141 WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD
Disused Grand Stand
to former race course
TF 00 SW 8/710 10.4.81
II
2.
Late C18 racecourse grand stand heightened and present roof and rear wing
added circa mid C19. Rendered brick with stone dressings, and coursed stone
rubble at rear. Low pitched slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Two
bays by 2 bays. Sides and front have 2 storeys of round arch arcades with
keyblocked arches. Stone bands and quoins. Short gabled 2 storey and attic
wing at rear. Most of the front arcaded wall has collapsed and the roof is
falling in.
Initials and dates scratched on piers and quoins - the earliest appear to
be on rear north-east corner "GMR 1787" and another "WE 179(5?)" on the north-west
corner.


Listing NGR: TF0358304146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.