This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6231 / 52°37'23"N
Longitude: -0.3862 / 0°23'10"W
OS Eastings: 509338
OS Northings: 304035
OS Grid: TF093040
Mapcode National: GBR GXL.K56
Mapcode Global: WHGM5.1BCF
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50426
Location: Ufford, Peterborough, PE9
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Ufford
Built-Up Area: Ufford
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Barnack with Ufford
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 UFFORD MAIN STREET
Church of St Andrew
TF 0904 40/634 19.3.62
From C13 but mainly C14 church. Ashlar built with lead nave and aisle roofs
and Collyweston stone chancel roof. Nave without clerestory. North and south
aisles. Decorated south aisle windows with restored reticulated tracery.
North aisle has Decorated window and Perpendicular straight headed window.
Double chamfered north and south doorways. The nave and aisles have moulded
parapets and the aisles have buttresses with set offs, some with gabled tops.
Rood turret on north-east corner of nave with later crenellation.
Late C13 chancel with Early English north and south windows, lancets, Y tracery
and cambered arch windows. Two C19 traceried east windows.
C15 ashlar west tower, with clasping buttresses with cusped gabled drip moulds,
tall bell openings with 4 centred arches and transom. The tower has battlements
and moulded plinth, and a Perpendicular 3-light west window with crenellated
string course below. C15 ashlar south porch.
Interior: early Perpendicular 3 bay north and south arcades with quatrefoil
piers. Circa 1300 double chamfered chancel arch, one hollow chamfer. Tall
tower arch with crenellated capitals. Circa 1300 piscina and triple sedilia
in chancel, Depressed tiebeam nave roof. C19 arch braced chancel roof with
king posts. Some C15 bench ends in north aisle, remainder of seating is C19.
Good C15 octagonal font with alternating sides with tracery and shields, underside
of bowl has alternating lions heads and rosettes, and a slim traceried stem
and quatrefoil panels to moulded base. Font cover has crockets and back to
back figures at apex. C17 communion table. Two late C18 funeral hatchments,
Royal Arms of George III and Commandment tables.
Monuments: Bridget Lady Carre 1621, marble with Corinthian columns and reclining
effigy. John Bowne died 1626, erected 1689 and Richard Bowne 1705.
VCH Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF0933804035
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings