History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melbourn United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0813 / 52°4'52"N

Longitude: 0.0163 / 0°0'58"E

OS Eastings: 538264

OS Northings: 244472

OS Grid: TL382444

Mapcode National: GBR K7C.JY0

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.7YH9

Entry Name: Melbourn United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52250

Location: Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Melbourn

Built-Up Area: Melbourn

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourn

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Melbourn

Listing Text

MELBOURN ORCHARD ROAD
TL 3844
(North west side)
24/198
Melbourn United
22.11.67 Reformed Church,
(formerly listed
as Old Meeting
House)
(Congregational
Chapel)
II


Congregational meeting house. c.1716 enlarged at the south end in 1815 and
to the rear c.1830. Brick, rendered, with the 1815 front wall of amber
brickwork and some stone detail. Hipped slate roof rising to a lantern,
replaced by a polygonal cupola with a shallow domed roof covered with
copper. Two stage front elevation framed by pilasters with plain capitals
and bases. Range of three recessed, sixteen pane hung sashes at first
stage. The ground stage has a hung sash also of sixteen panes, flanked by
two pairs of six panelled double doors, each with moulded wood surround and
pediment. Inside: The later pulpit is flanked by giant engaged Doric
columns. There is a gallery to three sides carried on Doric columns of wood,
the abacus enriched with carving. The balustrade has raised and fielded
panelling and in the south end an C18 Chinese lacquered clock by Thomas
Kefford of Royston. Squire stall between the two internal porches. Wall
monuments: Mrs. Sarah Nash; members of Woodham family and Rev. William Carver
all early C19.

R.C.H.M.: Record Card 1949
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. VIII p.81
C.F: R.C.H.M.: Record Card
G. Porter Chapple: Congregationalism in Melbourn 1694-1894


Listing NGR: TL3826444472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.