This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1027 / 52°6'9"N
Longitude: 0.0102 / 0°0'36"E
OS Eastings: 537777
OS Northings: 246837
OS Grid: TL377468
Mapcode National: GBR K75.3DV
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.4D7X
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52289
Location: Meldreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Meldreth
Built-Up Area: Meldreth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Meldreth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Ely
MELDRETH NORTH END
22/236 Church of Holy
Parish church. Mid C12 chancel. c.1200 nave and west tower, C14
fenestration to north wall of nave, C15 south aisle, arcade and porch.
Restorations of 1800, 1846, 1870. Limestone and clunch rubblestone. Barnack
limestone and clunch dressings (restored with Ketton stone).. Plan of west
tower, nave, south aisle and porch, and chancel. West Tower, c.1200. Three
stages including the late C13 bell-stage. Three-stage, flat buttresses and
blocked parapet on corbel table. Each side of the c.1200 lower stages has a
single light window in a two centred arch of two orders the outer on nook
shafts with scalloped capitals. Several of the windows have been blocked or
restored. Late C13 bell stage has three bay blind arcading of two centred
arches to each side. Openings in refoil heads with quatrefoils to spandrel.
The nave has embattled parapet and C.15 clerestorey of flint and fieldstone.
Each side with five, two light windows in square head. The South aisle C15.
Parapetted roof. Four centred arches and vertical tracery to four large
windows each with three cinquefoil lights. South porch of similar date. Two
centred outer arch with a continuous outer hollow and ogee moulded order and
the inner order on half octagonal columns to the responds. The inner arch
has three continuous moulded orders in two centred arch in a square head with
quatrefoil and dagger ornament to the spandrel, and a moulded cornice, with
an embattlement. Original plank and batten door with cover strips. Chancel,
mid C12, some C14 and C15 fenestration and a restoration of 1870. One
original mid C12 single light window in the south wall and two in the north
wall. South doorway, C15, restored and above, a window, also C15, clunch and
of two, cinquefoil lights with moulded surround in square head. The east
window of three graduated lancets is c.1870. There is a C14 Decorated window
in the north wall. The north wall of the nave has three Decorated windows of
clunch, each of three, cinquefoil lights in two centred arches with early C14
tracery to the heads. The north doorway c.1200 was restored C19. Interior:
Two centred, west tower arch of two keeled, roll moulded orders on shafts
with moulded bases and scallop capitals. South arcade of nave is C15.
Clunch. Five bays. Two centre arches of two orders. The outer is ogee
moulded and continuous and the inner is chamfered and carried on half
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and high, moulded bases. C15 king
post roof also in five bays. Arched braced tie beams with dagger tracery to
the spandrels. The wall posts rest on angel corbels bearing shields. The
easternmost truss is more elaborately carved and also painted. North of the
chancel arch are the rood loft stair doorways. The C15 screen incorporates
some modern material. The chancel has a plain band at sill height. There
are two square openings with rebates for doors in the east wall, probably
aumbries. C13 opening in north wall in two centred, trefoil arch. A
doorway, now blocked, has two continuous moulded orders in two centred arch.
It probably led to a north vestry now removed. Pews, C15 early C16. In
chancel, with poppyhead finials to ends. Pulpit, with some modern work,
hexagonal, C15-C16. Fine chandelier in nave. Brass, early C18, brought from
St. Benets, Cambridge 1870. In the north aisle is a C15-C16 oak chest with
iron furniture, and nearby a Roman coffin, C.400 A.D. found at Mettle Hill,
Meldreth. Another chandelier in the nave is also of brass, and probably
C19. Two tiers of eight branches. Font C14. Octagonal bowl of limestone on
octagonal stem. Quatrefoils carved to each face of bowl. In the west end of
the south aisle there is C18 wall monument. Limestone with black marble
panel carved with inscription.
Pevsner: Buildings of England p.441
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. VIII p. 95
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1949)
Listing NGR: TL3777746837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings