History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Eversden, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1613 / 52°9'40"N

Longitude: -0.0036 / 0°0'12"W

OS Eastings: 536654

OS Northings: 253329

OS Grid: TL366533

Mapcode National: GBR K6C.KWV

Mapcode Global: VHGMR.WYG0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52130

Location: Great Eversden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Great Eversden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great Eversden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Kingston

Listing Text

TL 3653 GREAT EVERSDEN HIGH STREET
(South side)

12/81 Church of St Mary

22.11.67
II*


Parish church. Rebuilt after a fire in 1466. Restorations of 1864 and
1920. Fieldstone, clunch rubble and dressings of clunch and limestone.
Tiled roof. Plan of west tower, nave and chancel. West Tower of three
stages on plinth with three stage diagonal buttressing and newel staircase at
north east angle. Rebuilt embattlement. Restored west window of three
lights. Single light window with trefoil head in two centred arch to each
side of second stage. Bell stage has original clunch dressings to two light
openings with foiled heads and two centred arches. Nave has two late C15
windows, restored, in south wall. Chancel with resort fenestration. Each
window of three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. North porch, dated
1636 on gable. Framed, rendered, and tiled. North and South doorways have
continuous ogee mouldings to four centred arches on chamfered bases.
Interior: nave roof in three bays. Late medieval. Arch braced, cambered tie
beams. West tower arch, two centred and of two aisles. Outer hollow and
roll moulded, inner chamfered. Responds with half octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals and high bases. Chancel arch is similar and has a rood loft
stair opening on north side. Chancel has late medieval roof. Arch braced
tie beams with the wall posts resting on stone corbels. The wall posts have
engaged shafts with embattled capitals and moulded bases. The cornice is
also embattled. Piscina, late cl5-early C16 in East wall of chancel.
Pulpit, early C17 on modern base.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs Mon. (1)
Pevsner: Buildings of England


Listing NGR: TL3665453329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.