History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abington Pottery

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Abington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1197 / 52°7'10"N

Longitude: 0.2378 / 0°14'16"E

OS Eastings: 553308

OS Northings: 249176

OS Grid: TL533491

Mapcode National: GBR M9Y.0XY

Mapcode Global: VHHKK.2ZLG

Entry Name: Abington Pottery

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52017

Location: Little Abington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Little Abington

Built-Up Area: Little Abington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great and Little Abington

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5249 LITTLE ABINGTON HIGH STREET
(South-West Side)

9/36 No. 26
22.11.67 (Abington Pottery) (formerly
listed as Nos 33, 35 and
GV II* 37)


House. Late C15 or early C16 with mid to late C16 and late C18 or early C19
alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with plain tiled roofs. Red brick
ridge stack to left hand and external stack to right hand gable. Open hall
with two storey bay to north-west and cross wing to south-east originally
jettied to the street. Boarded door to right hand; four ground floor
casement windows include three with transomed-lights and two-centred wooden
heads, and one similar first floor cross wing window, and one original
six-light moulded mullioned window. Interior: Cross wing of three
timber-framed bays with crown post roof and internal partitions, one original
three-centred arched door head. Cross passage behind inserted hearth with
original external entrances now blocked; open hall of two timber-framed bays
with smoke blackened, wind braced side purlin roof with evidence for an
earlier floor and partition in north-western bay. Inserted stack with hearth
partly sealed and inserted roll-moulded ceiling beams; closed truss to
north-west of hall with no apparent entry to two rooms of end bay. Late C16
or early C17 hearth to north-west ground floor room with staircase in outshut
to rear. Traces of vermilion paint on bricks and some timbers. Two C17
doors, one with bolection moulded panels and one panelled. The house was
converted to three dwellings in c.1830 and was renovated by the Cambridge
Cottage Improvement Society in 1934; it became a pottery in 1964.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p4


Listing NGR: TL5330849176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.