History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0961 / 52°5'45"N

Longitude: 0.2763 / 0°16'34"E

OS Eastings: 556023

OS Northings: 246634

OS Grid: TL560466

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.JNP

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.QLX0

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51989

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5646 LINTON HORN LANE
(South-West Side)

16/175 No. 12 (United
Reformed Church) (formerly
22.11.67 listed as Congregational
GV II Chapel)


Chapel. 1818. Red brick with stucco to north elevation. Slate roofs.
Single storey, rectangular plan with small apse to south with vestry possibly
a later addition. North elevation: symmetrical, with three unequal bays
divided by giant pilasters with moulded caps and round headed blind arches.
Triple doorway in central bay with wooden pilasters and entablature, two
double panelled doors with elliptical patterned glazing bars in rectangular
fanlight flanked by two similar doors and fanlights. Round headed arched
window with margin glazing bars above entrance. Two ground floor and two
first floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows with segmental arches in outer
bays. Interior: Lobby with two gallery staircases, and central entrances.
Gallery on three sides supported by four slender square, panelled, wooden
pillars, front, with applied decoration to panels, rounded at corners. Apse
with moulded round arch springing from capitals with half dome ceiling
housing the organ installed in 1827. Seating original, rostrum and pulpit
late C19. Eight wall memorials include two with white marble ovals set on
black marble plaques to John Taylor d.1786 and others by W. Haselgrove, and
to Ann Brightwell d.1781 and others by J.P. Biggs. Black marble plaque in
lobby to William Maling d.1720 and others. Clock by Dison of Linton. Edmund
Taylor, tanner d.1804 left a pair of cottages in Horn Lane for a new meeting
house built in 1818 at a cost of £1,000. It replaced the original chapel
built in 1698, and which fronted the river.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p103
Seaman-Turner. Non Conformity in Linton. 1976
Stevens, R L Linton Notes C.C. 1983


Listing NGR: TL5602346634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.