History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abington Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Abington, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1172 / 52°7'2"N

Longitude: 0.2397 / 0°14'22"E

OS Eastings: 553446

OS Northings: 248912

OS Grid: TL534489

Mapcode National: GBR M9Y.7FC

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.31LR

Entry Name: Abington Lodge

Listing Date: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51843

Location: Great Abington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Great Abington

Built-Up Area: Great Abington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great and Little Abington

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5248,
11/1

GREAT ABINGTON,
HIGH STREET (East Side),
No. 63 (Abington Lodge) and Nos. 65 and 67

G.V.

II

House and two flats. c.1660 built for Thos. Cobb, rebuilt by Capt. Roger
Sizer (d.1724), enlarged c.1730 by Col. Vachell, and altered by John
Mortlock, the banker, c.1815, enlarged and altered possibly by E. J. Mortlock
(d. 1902) in mid C19. Timber-framed and plastered, painted red brick with low-pitched, hipped, slated roofs. Rebuilt ridge stack and two rear stacks. Two
storeys and cellars. Early C18 square plan with service wing to north-east
incorporates the hall and wing of the C17 house. Early C19 alterations
include the refenestration of the west facade, blocking of the central
doorway and resiting the main entrance to the north in a single storey closed
porch with an oval planned lobby, (this entrance was blocked c.1960 and the
west entrance restored). Mid C19 drawing room and conservatory added to east
facade and service wing doubled, the whole building reroofed and unified by
deep boarded modillioned eaves. Conservatory demolished c.1960.
West facade: Symmetrical five 'bays' with mid C20 restored pedimented
doorcase and six-panelled door approached by stone steps. Four ground-floor
early C19 twelve-paned hung sash windows recessed in slightly enlarged
openings with wooden lintels below gauged-brick arches, five smaller first-floor windows. North facade: with C19 entrance blocked with inserted window
below wide fanlight with glazing bars. Two late C17 (and one in service
wing) twelve-paned hung sash windows with ovolo-moulded glazing bars in
segmental arches, C18 panelled pargetting.

INTERIOR: C17 details include
some two-panelled doors, boxed ceiling beams, large C17 hearth to north-east
room with mantel beam; early C18 panelling and moulded cornices to
north-east room and two first floor rooms; some six-panelled late C18
doors; early C19 open string staircase with finely fluted balusters,
south-west room with recess and pair of Ionic columns, cornice and ceiling
lightly decorated with guilloche patterns, six-panelled doors and shutters to
garden door and windows; mid C19 panelled doors, skirting boards and ceiling
cornices, round arched openings to marble chimney pieces. The house was
rented to Lord Grosvenor from 1775 to 1780 as a shooting box, the north-west
room was used as the gun room. The grounds are said to have been laid out by
Humphry Repton.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p6
Sale bill, Cambridge Chronicle 5 September 1795


Listing NGR: TL5344648912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.