History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade I Listed Building in Hildersham, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1162 / 52°6'58"N

Longitude: 0.2556 / 0°15'20"E

OS Eastings: 554535

OS Northings: 248834

OS Grid: TL545488

Mapcode National: GBR M9Y.CDM

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.C2ZJ

Plus Code: 9F424784+F6

Entry Name: Parish Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51879

Location: Hildersham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hildersham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hildersham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North West Side)

12/66 Parish Church of
22.11.67 Holy Trinity


Parish church. West tower c.1200 and vaulted sacristy, early C13 nave and
south and north aisle with clerestorey rebuilt later C13, north-east vestry
late C14. (South chapel known as Bustelar's Chapel demolished 1803).
Chancel rebuilt 1856, south transept late C19. Restoration of roofs and
church from 1878 to 1890 by C A Buckler (1824-1905). Walls of flint rubble
with limestone dressings, clunch interior dressings; stone slate and slate
and lead roof coverings. South elevation: West tower, with limestone quoins
and lancet-lights, raised c.13 feet in C19 with two-light foiled belfry
windows and plain parapet. Nave, with similar quoins may retain some c.1200
fabric, steeply pitched roof, three restored, foiled, square clerestorey
lights. Restored C14 two-light windows with net-tracery repeated in C19
chancel, and large C19 south window of south transept with C14 cross finial
resited on parapet gable. South porch C19 two-centred arch of two chamfered
orders. Chancel with angle buttresses. Two bay north and south nave
arcades, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with labels towards
the nave, on quatrefoiled piers and shafted responds with deeply moulded
capitals, and bases raised on stone bases. Chancel arch with similar details
to arcade. Two similar two-centred arched doorways to tower. Tower ladder
stair medieval, with later rungs. Chancel decoration planned by
Rev James Goodwin and completed by his son, similar to T Gambier Parry's
church at Highnam in Gloucestershire and believed to have been painted by
Italian craftsmen, restored in 1973 by Campbell, Smith and Co directed by
Mr S E Dykes Bower. The decoration consists of stencilled floral patterns
and painted panels of scenes from the Bible. Reredos of alabaster and marble
1871. Arched braced C19 roofs; nave main trusses springing from stone
corbels with painted shields of arms of Lords of the Manor. Four brasses and
indents in chancel, from north to south. (1) Small purbeck slab with
effigies about 20 inches high. A knight in mail with baseinet sword and
misere; lady in cloak, gown with long sleeves and head kerchief.
Rectangular matrix for inscription panel below, and beneath the woman a Paris
shield of arms (twin unicorn heads). Beneath the figure of the knight a worn
matrix for second shield perhaps Henry Paris Esq d.1427 and his wife
Margaret. (2) Purbeck slab with 3 foot high brass of skeleton in shroud
slightly mutilated c.1530. (3) Purbeck slab. bareheaded knight in armour
with exaggerated elbow-pieces, sword slung in front, lion at feet, with
crocketed ogee canopy with cinque-foil cusping terminating in small mutilated
Trinity. Knight was Henry Paris (Cole), dated perhaps 1488, two Paris
shields of arms. (4) Purbeck slab with large foliated cross flanked by two
kneeling figures, centre-piece octofoil frame with rich sub-coping; matrix
for plinth and four steps. Central frame encloses a 'Duality' of God the
Father seated holding crucified Son. Two figures, to right hand a man with
long cloak, short tunic and bareheaded, to left hand a lady with long-sleeved
gown, head kerchief and cloak. Beneath the man the Paris shield of arms,
beneath the woman a shield with cross patence and two crescents in chief.
Brass ascribed to Robt Paris and wife 1379 or 1408 (RCHM). Coffin lid late
C13 or early C14 reset in north wall of chancel, purbeck marble with low
relief of cross with trefoiled ends on stepped base. C15 glass reset in
south window of chancel of God the Father and Virgin and Child. C19 east
window by Clayton and Bell. Floor slab inscribed to Thomas Salt d.1806 and
his wife Mary d.1811. Monuments in south chapel; grey marble slab inscribed
to Sir Wm Andrew Bart d.1759 and above a separate slab with Andrew coat of
arms in a cartouche; white and grey marble slab inscribed to Philip
Southcote Esq d.1758, and above a separate slab of coat of arms of Southcote
impaling Andrew; damaged black and white marble slab with urn and drapery to
John C Middleton Esq of Hildersham Hall d.1826; white and grey marble slab
inscribed to Edward Southcote Esq d. 1780, and below a separate slab of
Southcote coat of arms in a cartouche. (Two wooden effigies of knight and
lady c.1300 on wooden slabs stolen in 1977). Font. C13 octagonal bowl with
panelled sides of simple trefoiled arches with attached shafts at angles each
with moulded caps and bases, supported on central shaft with four octagonal
outer shafts each with moulded caps and chamfered bases, it is mentioned in
the Versus Libes Arch. Eliensis c.1278 as 'a font with a lock'. Oak cover
1974. Early C17 communion table.

VCH Vol VI p 67
RCHM Report 1951 (includes description of stolen effigies)
Coles, W. Notes c.1740
Pevsner Buildings of England p 406
Philips, P.R Holy Trinity Church, Hildersham, Cambridge 1980

Listing NGR: TL5453548834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.