This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1536 / 52°9'13"N
Longitude: 0.0262 / 0°1'34"E
OS Eastings: 538719
OS Northings: 252529
OS Grid: TL387525
Mapcode National: GBR L7R.TQX
Mapcode Global: VHHKF.D4QC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Last Amended: 31 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51739
Location: Harlton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Harlton
Built-Up Area: Harlton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Harlton Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 35 SW HARLTON COACH DRIVE
5/123 Church Of St Mary(Formerly
31. 8.62 listed as Church of The
Assumption of The Blessed
Parish Church. Almost entirely late C14 apart from restoration of 1844.
Pebblestone, dressed clunch and C17 brick. Roofs concealed by parapets.
Plan of west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches and
chancel. West tower. Coursed pebblestone and dressed clunch. Embattled and
of three stages with restored angle buttressing. Single restored opening to
each side of bell stage with pierced boarding to shutters. Nave has blocked
parapet, restored, and an octagonal, embattled rood loft stair turret at
nort -east angle. South aisle has late C14, early C15 fenestration of three
cinquefoil lights in four centred arches, divided by a transome, with
vertical tracery to the head. South porch with two centred outer arch, and
ogee moulding with inner order on engaged shafts to responds. Inner arch
also two-centred with continuous hollow and roll moulding in square heads
with quatrefoil and dagger tracery to the spandrels. Chancel. South wall
has one original window of two lights with vertical tracery in two-centred
arch and another window, restored. A similar two-centred window in the north
wall. Inside. Tower arch and nave arcade are late C14 or early C15 and of
four bays. Two-centred arches of three orders divided by a hollow moulding
on square columns diagonally set with half octagonal shafts to the corners.
Roof is probably later C15, and has short kingposts on shallow braced
tiebeams carried on jackposts and moulded stone corbels. Original late C14
doorway and door in north aisle to rood loft staircase. Hollow moulded two-
centred arch in square head with dagger tracery. The door has flanks and
original ironwork. South aisle of similar late C14 date with chapel at east
end. Carved corbel for an image remains. The south wall has a large
alabaster wall monument probably c.1631 to members of the Fryer family.
Attributed to W Wright (Mrs Esdaile). The chancel arch is similar to the
nave arcade. There is a chancel screen of clunch, (part restored), embattled
and in two stages, and six cinquefoil bays. The centre bays are wider and
there is an ogee arch to the doorway. The lower stage is closed. At the
east end of the chancel there is a C15 reredos of clunch in thirteen niches
flanked by elaborate arches with vaulted canopies and crocketed pinnacles.
Over the north door is a mutilated figure, seated, possibly reset and
originally a Virgin and Child from the choir screen, C14. Reset in the north
wall of the chancel are carved brackets possibly associated with the screen.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(I) Plates 25,69,89,92,& 93
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p401
Listing NGR: TL3871952529
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings