This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1818 / 52°10'54"N
Longitude: 0.0577 / 0°3'27"E
OS Eastings: 540784
OS Northings: 255726
OS Grid: TL407557
Mapcode National: GBR L7L.3F2
Mapcode Global: VHHK7.YFD8
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51623
Location: Barton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Barton
Built-Up Area: Barton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Barton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4055 BARTON CHURCH LANE
12/14 Church of St peter
Last but one sentence of the description shall be amended to read "R.C.H.M. West
Cambs., mon. (1) Plate 53"
TL 4055 BARTON CHURCH LANE
12/14 Church of St Peter
Parish Church. Chancel, C14 with fragments of Cll and C12 in west end of
south wall. Nave and west tower are also C14, but the tower is possibly late
C14. Fieldstone, and clunch, rendered and repaired and limestone dressings.
Tiled roofs. Plan of west tower, nave south porch and chancel,, West tower
of three stages, embattled, with gargoyles to the cornice. Newel staircase
in south west---angle and original diagonal three-stage buttressing.
Fenestration and bell stage openings restored in Ketton stone. Nave has four
windows, restored, each of three trefoil lights in two-centred ashlar with
flowing tracery. The outer arch east of the south porch is much restored,
and the inner has two continuous hollow moulded orders in a two-centred
arch. Chancel windows similarly restored. East window late Cl14. Three
cinquefoil lights in four-centred arch with hollow moulding and vertical
tracery to the head. The north side of the chancel has similar but less
weathered fenestration. Inside: Roof, C19 in five bays. West tower arch of
two hollow moulded orders in two centred arch. The interior of'the church is
noteworthy for its C14 wall paintings in the nave and the chancel screen
which is in five bays and two stages. The open, upper stage has subcusped
tracery to enriched ogee arches in square heads with vertical tracery to
spandrels. The closed lower panels are partly restored, but the original
ones retain traces of painting. The pulpit, 1635, is hexagonal., with C19-C20
stem, and original jewel work to the panels and drops to the tester. Font of
limestone. Tapered octagonal bowl on octagonal stem, carved. C13-C14.
Brass in chancel. 1593 John Martin and wife.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1)
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p299
Listing NGR: TL4078455726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings