History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1392 / 52°8'20"N

Longitude: 0.124 / 0°7'26"E

OS Eastings: 545453

OS Northings: 251111

OS Grid: TL454511

Mapcode National: GBR L82.VK7

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.3HDG

Entry Name: Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51558

Location: Little Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Little Shelford

Built-Up Area: Little Shelford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Little Shelford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

TL 4551 LITTLE SHELFORD HIGH STREET
(South West Side)

19/154 No 50 (Hall Farmhouse)
31.8.62
GV II

Farmhouse, early C15 with additions and alterations of C17 and
later. Timber framed, plaster and roughcast rendered on a brick
plinth. Plain tiled roofs, gabled, except for hipped roof at
junction of front and service or kitchen range. C17 side stack
with rebuilt upper courses at rear of one room to former late
C15 open-hall, and a red brick ridge stack, early C17, with four
diagonally set shafts on base with moulded upper edge. Plan
forming four ranges of different building periods round a small
courtyard. Former open-hall, at right of range to road, late
C15. Timber framed, rendered and painted, with steeply pitched
plain tiled roof and C17 side stack. Two storeys. Two flush
frame C18 or early C19 hung sashes of sixteen panes each at
first floor and C19 canted bay on brick plinth at ground floor.
The present entry is to the former open-hall. In the early C17
part of the original house was rebuilt at the left hand and
extended at the rear, forming an L-plan. Timber framed,
rendered with plain tiled roof and original ridge stack. Two
storeys with part at rear also with an attic. One late C18 or
early C19 flush frame hung sash with open boxing of sixteen
panes and C19 canted bay on brick plinth at ground floor. The
garden front has c.1870 white brick gabled parch. The other two
ranges round the courtyard are additional service wings of C17.
Timber frame, rendered on brick plinth with steeply pitched
tiled roofs. Interior: Little of the framing is visible.
However the roof over the former open hall is intact. Three
bays and part of a fourth remain. There are cambered tie beams
and the roof, which is of clasped side purlin construction, has
timbers of substantial scantling and is well carpentered.
Paired cranked bracing between principal rafters and purlins
similar to the barn, Hall Farm, Little Shelford (q.v.). There
is a closed truss between second and third bays. The part of
the roof over the entrance hall is generally smoke blackened.
R.C.H.M: record card


Listing NGR: TL4545351111

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.