History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Wickham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1177 / 52°7'3"N

Longitude: 0.3531 / 0°21'11"E

OS Eastings: 561206

OS Northings: 249214

OS Grid: TL612492

Mapcode National: GBR NCF.639

Mapcode Global: VHJH8.21JC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127918

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51330

Location: West Wickham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: West Wickham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: West Wickham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
West Wickham

Listing Text

WEST WICKHAM
TL 6149
18/128
Church of St
22.11.67 Mary
GV II*
Parish Church. Mainly C14 with restoration of c.1900. Coursed flint with
clunch and limestone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch
and north chapel and chancel. West tower of four stages, with blocked
parapet and three-stage diagonally set buttressing. Restored reticulated
tracery to west window. Newel stair turret in south west angle. Aisleless
nave, c.1350 with south porch. South wall has three windows, restored, of
cinquefoil lights. South porch has two centred outer arch of one continuous
wave and one ogee moulded order. Inner archway of two continuous ogee
moulded orders. Chancel: c.1320. Three restored windows of clunch, of two
cinquefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two-centred arches. East
window of similar period, restored. North chapel added C15. Two blocked
windows, clunch, with vertical tracery. Blocked doorway on west side. North
doorway to nave of clunch. Interior: two-centred west tower arch of three
chamfered orders on high chamfered base. Roof in four bays. Braced tie
beams and collar. Tie beam nearest chancel arch enriched with chevron
ornament and the date 1615 is carved on it. North chapel now organ chamber.
Reset C13 arch of two chamfered orders on half octagonal responds. Chancel
arch of two centred arch on three shaft responds. Chancel has moulded string
at sill height and a label carried above the rear window arches and
teminating in a mask head on either side of east window. Two niches flank
the east window, each with trefoil head as is the arch to the piscina in the
south. Monument: north wall of chancel. Henry Harrison (d.1690). Black
marble tablet in bolection moulded frame flanked by Corinthian pilasters.

R.C.H.M. Record Card (1951)
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p479

Listing NGR: TL6120649214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.