History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Merton Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1538 / 52°9'13"N

Longitude: -0.1775 / 0°10'39"W

OS Eastings: 524780

OS Northings: 252183

OS Grid: TL247521

Mapcode National: GBR J4T.XLZ

Mapcode Global: VHGMV.W406

Entry Name: Merton Grange

Listing Date: 3 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52753

Location: Gamlingay, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Gamlingay

Built-Up Area: Little Gransden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Gamlingay St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gamlingay

Listing Text

GAMLINGAY STATION ROAD
TL 2452 (North side)

12/90
No 97 (Merton
Grange)

GV II

House. Early C18 and mid-late C19 alterations and addition. Red brick,
rendered in C19 and double gable plain tiled roof with modillion eaves
cornice. Paired end stacks, rebuilt, but with part of the swept end parapet
remaining. Original plan of two parallel and adjoining ranges. Two storeys
and attic. Symmetrical west facade has rusticated ground floor and clasping
rusticated pilasters to first floor. Five bays with alternating triangular
and segmental pediments, C19 , on dentilled brackets to eight pane hung
sashes, early C20. Four twelve pane hung sashes, C19 flank pedimented Roman
Doric portico of stone. Door with glazed upper panels. Rear elevation has
moulded doorcase surround also pedimented, C19 and twelve pane hung sashes
except for one window at first floor with intersecting glazing bars in the
head. At the north end a mid-late C19 wing. Rendered brick walls.
Rusticated ground floor and pilastered first floor on west side with segmental
pediment to a three-light first floor window with hung sashes. A similar
ground floor window does not have the pediment. Adjoining the house on the
south end is an orangery. Timber, painted, with barrel vaulted roof and
radial glazing bars to the ends. Side elevation in five bays divided by
pilaster strips. Forming the garden boundary on the west side is a C19 brick
ha ha. Inside: Early C18 staircase of two flights and landing. Open string
with three twisted balusters to each tread, toads back hand rail, square
newels panelled dado and scroll cheek pieces. The hall bay is divided from
the stairbay by an arch with panelled sides.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (49)


Listing NGR: TL2478052183

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.