History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

13 and 15, Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1556 / 52°9'20"N

Longitude: -0.192 / 0°11'31"W

OS Eastings: 523782

OS Northings: 252354

OS Grid: TL237523

Mapcode National: GBR J4T.SBL

Mapcode Global: VHGMV.M2BV

Entry Name: 13 and 15, Church Street

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52709

Location: Gamlingay, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Gamlingay

Built-Up Area: Gamlingay

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Gamlingay St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gamlingay

Listing Text

GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET
TL 2352 (North side)

11/45
Nos 13 and 15
22.11.67

GV II

House, now two dwellings. Mid-late C16, and small C19 outshut at rear.
Timber framed plaster rendered and plain tiled roof. The red brick ridge
stack inserted C17 has clasping corner pilaster shafts with capitals and base
with recesses between. Single range probably extended further along the
street, but part replaced during C19. Two storeys. Jettied first floor
partly underbuilt. The bressumer in three original lengths, with double
bolection and hollow moulding: The joists are cogged into the bressumer.
Three first floor windows, C19 including a horizontal sliding sash and a nine
pane hung sash. Two ground floor horizontal sliding sashes and a fixed light
window with single central glazing bar possibly for a shop, adjacent to the
doorway to No 15. Interior: has main beam with ogee and roll moulding and
inglenook hearths. At intersection of mainbeams is a boss in form of a fruit
and flowers and a shield charged with a cross of St George. Cambered tie
beams and jowled post heads. Wind braced side purlin roof. This may be the
Guildhall which is referred to in documents prior to its dissolution c.1530.

C Brown: Mss Notes
RCHM: West Cambs mon (27)
C Hewett: Development of Carpentry (p147)


Listing NGR: TL2378252354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.