This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0917 / 52°5'30"N
Longitude: -0.0297 / 0°1'47"W
OS Eastings: 535077
OS Northings: 245535
OS Grid: TL350455
Mapcode National: GBR K73.Z5G
Mapcode Global: VHGN4.FPNC
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52640
Location: Whaddon, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Whaddon
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Whaddon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3445 WHADDON BRIDGE STREET
11/232 No. 141 (The Grange)
House, formerly a farmhouse. Late C14 with late C15 modifications, and late
C16 and C18 additions. Timber-framed and plastered with tarred brick plinth.
Plain tiled roofs. Red brick stacks to west cross-wing and east end of main
range each with four septagonal or octagonal shafts with moulded chamfered
bases and without original caps. Two storeys. Modified half H-plan. Main
C14 range of three bays originally forming two open halls, converted to a
trading hall c.1500 with inserted floors and jetty constructed in west gable
(qv The Oak House, Hinxton, Cambs.); C16 cross-wings, to east with upper
hall, and to west of three bays including a chimney bay framed from reused C13
or C14 timbers; double gabled C18 service wing to north. South elevation:
Coved plastered eaves cornice. C19 bargeboards with apex finials. C18 raised
and fielded panelled door in C16 cross passage position with canopy supported
on shaped brackets. Five ground floor casement windows include two large
early C20 windows; five first floor casement windows. Interior: Exposed
timber-frame and floor frames show clearly the different building periods.
Complete C14 roof with smoke blackened timbers, plain crown posts in closed
trusses, chamfered in open truss with wide braces to the tie beams and braces
to the collar purlin. C16 plastered moulded brick hearths and cooking hearth
to south-west room, four chimney cupboards with original doors and hinges.
Early C17 panelling in first floor south-west room complete with strap work
frieze. Late C18 open string staircase. The farmhouse, formerly part of
Fountains Farm, was converted to a farmhouse by the Wimpole Estate in the
early C18 and sold in 1913. It is possible that the building was owned by the
Lilley family in the C15; the Lilley estate came into the possessions of Sir
Thos Cartwright 1567-97, and Henry Halfheide in the early C17 keeper of the
V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.143
Listing NGR: TL3507745535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings