This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4013 / 52°24'4"N
Longitude: -0.0867 / 0°5'12"W
OS Eastings: 530267
OS Northings: 279863
OS Grid: TL302798
Mapcode National: GBR K3C.GWN
Mapcode Global: VHGLK.GX11
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 30 May 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128398
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54194
Location: Warboys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Warboys
Built-Up Area: Warboys
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Warboys St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WARBOYS CHURCH ROAD
St Mary Magdalene
TL 37 NW 4/6 30.5.58
Parish Church. Mid C13 west tower, early C13 nave, north and south aisles, late C14
south porch, C15 north porch, C19 chancel. Flint and stone rubble with Barnack stone
dressings. West tower of three stages with angle buttressing. Octagonal broach spire,
ashlared with three tiers of spire lights. West window tall lancet, with trefoil head
half way up forming a transom. Four quatrefoil openings to south side of window.
Lancet window to each wall of second stage and two pointed lights to each wall of belfry.
Stair turret at south-west angle. Nave roof leaded with moulded stone parapet.
Clerestory has four C15 windows to each side. Two cinquefoil lights in moulded four
centred heads. North and south aisles extended to flank west tower. South aisle has
three two-stage buttresses and three C14 windows of three cinquefoil lights in two centred
heads with moulded labels. One similar window to east wall. C14 south doorway with
moulded jambs and two centred head: C17 three-light window in square head to west wall.
South porch late C14. Tiled, gabled roof with diagonal buttressing. Two centred outer
archway of three moulded orders. North aisle has three C15 windows of three cinquefoil
lights with vertical tracery in four centred head with moulded label and grotesque stops.
One similar window to east wall. Late C13 north doorway. Trio centred arch of two
orders. C15 north porch gabled with parapet with stone coping. Two centred outer arch-
way of two moulded orders with moulded labels. Chancel rebuilt late C18 and extended
1832 (VCH). Gault brick with stone dressings. Slate roof with parapet and gable end
parapet. Two stage angle buttressing. Three tall lancet windows to each side and three
similar windows to east wall. Interior has C12 chancel arch. Semi-circular headed with
chevron decoration to one of two orders. Two large roll moulded orders to soffit. Three
attached shafts to each respond with scalloped or cushion capitals, moulded bases and
chamfered or grooved abaci. Nave of four bays. Early C13 two centred arches of two
chamfered orders. Cylindrical piers with bell capitals and moulded bases, except for
one octagonal pier. C12 responds with attached half column to south respond. C19 roof
restored. Pair of late C18 wall monuments in north wall of chancel. By John Bacon RA
(1740-1799), one dated 1781 to John Leman, and one dated 1790 to Elizabeth Strode.
C12 iron knocker, now on timer vestry door. Lions head with heavy ring in mouth
terminating in two winged dragons fighting. Early C13 font with square bowl, carved
sides, round stem and four angle shafts, all with moulded capitals and bases.
(RCHM Huntingdonshire p 282).
Listing NGR: TL3026779863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings