This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3842 / 52°23'3"N
Longitude: -0.1198 / 0°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 528063
OS Northings: 277907
OS Grid: TL280779
Mapcode National: GBR K3J.DK2
Mapcode Global: VHGLQ.WB1L
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 May 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53803
Location: Broughton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Broughton
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
BROUGHTON SCHOOL ROAD
Parish Church of
TL 27 NE 3/5 30.5.58
Parish Church. Base of chancel arch C12, chancel, north and south aisles, and nave
rebuilt circa 1300. West tower and spire originally date from early C14 but were
rebuilt in late C15 or early C16 when clerestory added. South porch circa 1340.
Chancel and tower walls of rubble, aisles of pebble rubble, walls of nave rendered
with Barnack stone dressings and ashlar spire. Roofs of lead and plain tiles. Tower
of three stages with angle buttresses and moulded plinth, windows C16 in four-centred
arches. Broach spire with two tiers of four spire lights of two and one trefoiled
lights with gable tracery. Low pitch nave roof. Three, three-light clerestory
windows in four-centred arches, and similar arches to three, three-light aisle
windows. South porch with hipped roof, and two side windows with trefoiled ogee
lights in square heads, has two-centred arch with moulded label and stops. Late C18
doors in circa 1300 south doorway with richly moulded two-centred arch with shafted
jambs with moulded caps. Roof of chancel steeply pitched. Windows in south wall,
C13 and C14 with single light 'low-side' window and C13 doorway.
Interior: East window of chancel modern. C13 double piscina with trefoiled heads.
Chancel arch circa 1300 with attached shafts and moulded bases resting on wall of
original C12 church with some chamfered impost on north side. North and south
arcades of four bays circa 1300 with two centred arches with moulded labels and head
stops. Piers with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and bases. Nave roof largely
modern with carved figures of angels circa 1500 on soffits of intermediate tie beams.
Two original wall posts have carved figures of the Apostles. Wall paintings; Doom
painting over chancel arch, expulsion of Adam and Eve on south nave wall, and other
fragments. Pews possibly C16, communion table in south aisle C18, C18 altar rails
with turned balusters. Font, large and square with blind arcading circa 1200. In
south aisle window small piece of early C16 glass. Road screen donated by
Rev Pinhey 1900-21, carved by George Allpress local village carpenter and builder
with figures from Oberammersau. Pulpit designed by Rev George Johnston 1890 and
carved by 'men of the village'. Parish library in belfry room. Books, sold recently
to Cambridge University, were collected and donated to the parish by Rev Torkington
(d.1737) and Rev R Hodson (rector 1717-1774). A case given by the university now
contains items of local interest from the collection.
(RCHM HJntingionshire p 28)
(Inskip Ladds records, Norris Museum, St Ives).
Listing NGR: TL2806377907
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings