This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3294 / 52°19'45"N
Longitude: -0.184 / 0°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 523847
OS Northings: 271698
OS Grid: TL238716
Mapcode National: GBR J2P.VPK
Mapcode Global: VHGLW.RQL4
Entry Name: 4, Princes Street
Listing Date: 21 February 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53697
Location: Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE29
Civil Parish: Huntingdon
Built-Up Area: Huntingdon
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Huntingdon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
898/2/39 PRINCES STREET
21-FEB-75 (East side)
House; late C18, built of brick, rendered and painted, with tiled roofs.
PLAN: The house is L-shaped, with a main range of two storeys and attics, with three bays fronting Princes Street; there is a two storey wing to the rear of the main range at the northern end.
EXTERIOR: The main range has a tiled, mansard roof with two box dormers each to the front and back; these have six paned sash windows, those to the front, west elevation with horns. There are external stacks to both north and south gable ends, the latter particularly pronounced; at this end the roofline of a neighbouring house, now demolished, can be seen either side of the chimney stack. The rear wing is lower than the main range, and has a pitched, tiled roof with a central ridge stack. The west elevation of the main range is symmetrical with a central wooden doorcase with panelled pilasters, cornice, fanlight and late C20 door, flanked by sixteen paned unhorned sash windows, above which are three similar windows to the first floor. There are sash windows to the ground floors of the north and south gable ends of the main range, that to the south with horns. The ground floor of the east elevation of the main range has paired twelve light sash windows separated by a wooden mullion, above which is a single twelve light sash. All windows in the main range are recessed within cambered arched openings, as they are to the gable end of the rear wing. Other windows in this wing are mainly six paned horned sashes, and there are also modern French windows to the ground floor of the south elevation, and a modern glazed door to the north elevation.
INTERIOR: The plan of the main range has been altered. On the ground floor walls have been removed to create an open space for a shop. The first floor is reached from a modern staircase in the rear wing, accessed directly from the door in the north elevation. The first floor plan has also been altered by the removal of partition walls, and both this floor and the attics are used as offices. There are no fireplaces, and no other detail survives.
HISTORY: The building dates from the late C18; originally a house, it was converted to a shop and offices in the late C20. The ground floor shop is currently vacant. Historic Ordnance Survey maps dating to between 1888 and 1926 show the house with a more substantial rear wing, and with gardens and outbuildings. Originally at the north end of a row of smaller buildings, now demolished, it shared its south gable chimney stack with its neighbour to the south. The current rear wing appears to have been built in the mid-late C20.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: No.4 Princes Street is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* It is of special architectural and historical interest as a substantially intact late C18 house which retains both fabric and external detail.
Other nearby listed buildings