This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6132 / 51°36'47"N
Longitude: -2.53 / 2°31'47"W
OS Eastings: 363400
OS Northings: 190621
OS Grid: ST634906
Mapcode National: GBR JT.9N9W
Mapcode Global: VH87X.3QC5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 30 March 1960
Last Amended: 17 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34925
Location: Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Thornbury
Built-Up Area: Thornbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Thornbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
THORNBURY CHURCH ROAD
ST 6390 (north side)
30.3.60 Parish Church of
St Mary the Virgin
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
C12 origins, altered in C14, C15 and C16. Restored 1848 by Francis Niblett
West tower circa 1540 (restored 1889 by F W Waller). Nave, north and south aisles, 2 storey south porch (all late C15). Chancel circa 1340 and south (Stafford) chapel, late C14. Coursed rubble with ashlar blocks (particularly
in the tower). Ashlar south chapel. Cotswold stone slate roof.
Tower: 4 stages; diagonal buttresses; very fine pierced battlements and open turrets (as St Stephen's, Bristol and Dundry).
South porch: 2 storeys; C14 doorway, 2 centred arch; 1764 sundial above
(restored circa 1953) blank arcaded parapet with central niche.
South door: Heavily rstored transitional/Norman arch with dogtooth, on Early English shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. C19 decorative ironwork on door.
Embattled parapets with finials to nave and aisles. Norman/Transitional
north door with roll moulds. Numerous heraldic badges on stops to hood
Interior: Clerestoried Nave of 6 typical Perpendicular bays. North aisle
has square headed windows. South aisle has 4-centred arch headed windows
with 'bisected drop' tracery. 1848 roof. Chancel arch and east window are
C19. South wall has decorated piscina and triple sedilia, all under
cinquefoil arch. Perpendicular pulpit approached by Victorian stair. Norman/Transitional front. Victorian glass by Thomas Willement, 1840's and 1850's. Monuments. North chancel, Sir John Stafford 1624. Brass in chancel
to Tyndalls, 1571, only wife's survive. South chapel, in Perpendicular
recess is 1648 to Roger Fowke. Other C17 and C18 tablets in the aisles, especially John Atwells, 1729.
Sources: "Buildings of England, Glos: The Vale (Verey)".
Listing NGR: ST6340090619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings