This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5103 / 51°30'37"N
Longitude: -2.5733 / 2°34'24"W
OS Eastings: 360306
OS Northings: 179198
OS Grid: ST603791
Mapcode National: GBR JR.J3DH
Mapcode Global: VH88G.B9XJ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 March 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35028
Location: Filton, South Gloucestershire, BS34
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Filton
Built-Up Area: Filton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Filton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 67 NW FILTON GLOUCESTER ROAD NORTH (east side)
4/1 Church of St. Peter
Anglican Parish Church. Circa 1340, mainly rebuilt in 1845 by Hicks, much
extended and further altered, 1961, by Taylor and Dickin. Rubble, brought to
courses in tower, elsewhere snecked, freestone dressings, slate and copper roofs,
raised coped verges with saddlestones; random rubble, concrete dressings, copper
roof in northern extension. West tower, nave, chancel (now Lady Chapel), south
aisle and porch; northern extension contains new nave and chancel. West Tower,
the only remaining mediaeval fabric, strengthened and altered in 1961, has
2 stages; first stage has a plain entrance inserted 1961 below a 3-light
Decorated west window; second stage has 2 single cusped lights on each face, the
larger ones above, to bell chamber, have louvres; gargoyles carry the thin
remains of the parapet; there is a copper clad hexagonal spike (also of 1961).
The windows of the body of the church of 1845 are mainly Decorated. The gabled
nave is no longer visible; gabled chancel has weathered diagonal buttresses,
3-light east window under drip with head stops, a pair of cusped lights to north
and south and a blocked priest's door; gabled south aisle of 3 narrow bays,
buttressed as chancel, has 2-light windows, those at east and west under drips;
gabled south porch with chamfered pointed arch; 5-bay C.20 nave and chancel
added as northern wing, pointed windows with mullions and transoms, low pitch roof
behind parapet. Interior: roofs of nave and chancel of 1845 are arch braced and
stand on large, well-carved, figurative corbels. (D. Verey, Buildings of
England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).
Listing NGR: ST6030679198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings