This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6374 / 51°38'14"N
Longitude: -2.5 / 2°29'59"W
OS Eastings: 365495
OS Northings: 193294
OS Grid: ST654932
Mapcode National: GBR JV.83VM
Mapcode Global: VH87X.M37L
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 30 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35352
Location: Rockhampton, South Gloucestershire, GL13
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Rockhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Rockhampton St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 69 SE ROCKHAMPTON
5/249 Church of St. Oswald
Parish church. C14 tower and porch; nave and chancel rebuilt 1860-1 by
Kempson of Hereford. Coursed limestone and sandstone rubble with limestone
dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges with kneelers and cross finials.
West tower, nave, south porch, chancel. Decorated and Perpendicular style.
3-stage tower has 2-light Decorated west window in splayed reveal with hood
mould, trefoil-headed lancet to north and south at 2nd stage, 3rd stage has
2-light Decorated window to all 4 sides with stone bell-louvres and hood moulds
linked by a string course which continues round the top set-offs if the diagonal
weathered buttresses; north east stair turret has angled top and finial,
limestone quoins forming chequer-work with sandstone walling; former roof line
of nave visible on east side, Perpendicular parapet pierced with tracery,
pinnacles missing, angels as rainwater spouts to north and south 3-bay nave has
3 Perpendicular 2-light windows to north, hood moulds with unfinished stops,
wall battered below weathered string, quoins, porch in central bay to south has
slightly pointed arched opening with moulded surround, raised coped verges and
sundial on block at top of gable, south wall weathered at each side. Chancel
has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2 cinquefoil-headed single lights to
south, all in same surround as nave windows, plinth and weathered string.
Interior: C15 south door with Perpendicular panelling, now cut in half to make
double door, in moulded surround and hood mould. West window has plain stone
surround and relieving arch, tower was vaulted but only springings survive,
tower arch of 3 chamfered orders which die off into the responds. Nave has
brattished wall-plate, wagon roof with moulded purlins and ridge purlin, all
windows in splayed reveals with chamfered and stopped jambs and segmental heads,
south door has chamfered, Tudor-arched head. Chancel has high pointed arch in
moulded surround with hood mould with foliate stops; wagon roof of 5 bays
divided into 30 painted panels by ribs, moulded with rosette bosses in 2 bays to
east, brattished wall-plate; windows in same surround as nave, east window also
has hood mould with foliate stops, north wall has pointed arched door in
chamfered surround, now blocked on outside and cinquefoil headed piscina, south
window cill has sedilia made from C14 tomb chest with ogee shaped canopies,
crocketed finials and blank shields, remains of wall painting on lower part of
east wall, moulded string under cill of windows. Fittings: Perpendicular
octagonal bowl font with quatrefoils in panels in nave; Jacobean chest in nave;
royal arms on south wall of nave; marble monument in chancel to William Davies,
1848, nephew of Edward Jenner, the discoverer of vaccination; chancel floor
made up of early C17 to early C18 ledger stones, including one to William
Quintin, parson, 1632-40; early Cl7 ledger stone in west nave by font.
(Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale and The
Forest of Dean. 1970).
Listing NGR: ST6549593294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings