History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Prince of Orange

A Grade II Listed Building in Yatton, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3847 / 51°23'5"N

Longitude: -2.8152 / 2°48'54"W

OS Eastings: 343366

OS Northings: 165392

OS Grid: ST433653

Mapcode National: GBR JF.S2KK

Mapcode Global: VH7CG.5G29

Entry Name: The Prince of Orange

Listing Date: 11 October 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33827

Location: Yatton, North Somerset, BS49

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Yatton

Built-Up Area: Yatton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yatton

Listing Text

YATTON C.P. HIGH STREET (south side)
ST 46 NW
5/163 The Prince of Orange
- II
11.10.61
Inn. C17 origin, refronted early C19 with C20 alterations. Rubble, rendered,
block to left colourwashed, pantiled roofs with brick gable stacks on block to
left, rendered ridge and gable stacks to right. Main range to right, attached
former stable block to left with front wing to left forming L-plan. 2 storeys
and 5 windows, all 16-pane sashes in exposed boxes, irregular height and spacing,
4 at ground floor, C20 door 2nd from right and 2nd from left. Block to left,
taller, has wide segmental-headed carriage door to right, large triple window
with plate-glass sashes and segmental head at first floor right, similar window
to left with C20 glazing; attached to front left single storey C19 addition with
door and 9-pane light, both with cambered heads, door and blocked loading door
with small gable over, blank gable end to front and crestings to roof. Left and
right returns not rendered, no openings. Rear has small single storey C20
addition to left, central 2-storey C19 parallel range with single light and
6-pane sash at ground floor, 3-light casement under eaves, left side has small
single light and 2-light casement at first floor; small porch with C20 door to
right and further taller 2-storey C19 rear wing, sash with wider central pane at
first floor and single storey brick lean-to, C20 plate-glass window at ground
floor left side; single storey brick addition to far right, not of interest.
Visited by George Lukins, a tailor of Yatton, born 1744 and known after 1770 as
the Yatton Demoniac. (Sources: C18 pamphlets in Bristol Library: 'An Appeal
to the Public respecting George Lukins (called the Yatton Demoniac)' and
'Authentic Anecdotes of George Lukins, The Yatton Doemoniac').


Listing NGR: ST4336665392

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.