History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Temple, Exedra and Linking East Boundary Wall of Formal Garden at Barrow Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barrow Gurney, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.413 / 51°24'46"N

Longitude: -2.6981 / 2°41'53"W

OS Eastings: 351543

OS Northings: 168455

OS Grid: ST515684

Mapcode National: GBR JL.Q804

Mapcode Global: VH88S.5RY4

Entry Name: Temple, Exedra and Linking East Boundary Wall of Formal Garden at Barrow Court

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33878

Location: Barrow Gurney, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Barrow Gurney

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Listing Text

ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW COURT LANE (west side)

3/10 Temple, Exedra and linking east
Boundary Wall of formal garden at
Barrow Court

G.V. II*

Temple, Exedra and Garden Wall. Circa 1890 by F. Inigo Thomas. Rubble to
Garden Wall with dressed stone coping, ashlar to piers and architectural features
of both garden structures, stone slates to roof of Temple. The Temple is a
tetrastyle Doric loggia with a hipped roof and ridge ball finials which gives on
to a square courtyard, walled on the east and west and leading via 3 semi-
circular steps down to the formal east axis of the garden. At each side of the
steps are curving quadrant balustraded walls and tall Gatepiers, 2.5 metres high
with acanthus cornices, ball finials and fruit swagged scrolls on the wall
abutments. The Exedra is a semi-circular recess in the Boundary Wall with ball
finials to the rear wall and 2 tall piers, 3 metres high, with attached columns
with composite capitals, deeply projecting entablatures and vast urn finials with
fruit and flower swags. The piers also have large volutes extending from the
entablature to the wall. The recess has an aluminium statue of a winged female
figure of 1921 by ? A. Klein. These features together with several others
comprise a fine formal garden layout by Thomas for Henry Martin Gibbs; it is
included in the Historic Gardens Register : Part 1 Avon. (Country Life,
18 January 1902, R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957).


Listing NGR: ST5154368455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.