This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3539 / 51°21'13"N
Longitude: -2.6973 / 2°41'50"W
OS Eastings: 351538
OS Northings: 161873
OS Grid: ST515618
Mapcode National: GBR JL.TVM3
Mapcode Global: VH895.67DG
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33928
Location: Butcombe, North Somerset, BS40
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Butcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 56 SW BUTCOMBE C.P. THE BATCH (west side)
6/60 Church of St. Michael and All Angels
Anglican parish church. C15 with 1868 restoration and additions comprising south
porch and north vestry. Squared and coursed rubble to main body, squared and
coursed dressed stone to tower and south aisle parapet, flush rusticated dressed
stone quoins, stone copings and C20 plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south
tower, south transeptal chapel, south porch, north transept, north vestry. All
windows are 2 and 3 Perpendicular lights with cusped tracery under pointed heads
with hoodmoulds. Chancel has Tudor arched blocked south doorway. South tower
of 3 stages with set-back buttresses, moulded string courses, polygonal north west
corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. South face has
a 2-cusped-light window to 1st stage and above, 2 stages of 2-light bell openings
with cusped heads, quatrefoils and simple louvres. At the 2nd stage the
buttressing develops into crocketted pinnacled shafts which flank 2 aedicules with
crocketted and fleur de lys decorated canopies. C19 south doorway with above, a
C15 niche in which is set a 1931 statue of St. George. I.C.B.S. plaque on porch
west wall recording 1868 restoration. C19 plank door. Interior. Wagon roof
to nave. Complex moulded chancel arch with further arches either side to small
2 bay transept on the north and tower and transeptal chapel on the south. Arch
between tower and chapel has dying imposts. Wagon roof to chancel, compartmented
roof to chapel restored 1923. Perpendicular statue niche in south chapel east
wall. Fittings. Nave at south door has octagonal Perpendicular font with
quatrefoil panels and Perpendicular style rood screen and pulpit installed in 1916
and 1919 respectively. Several C18. and C19 wall monuments under tower.
Fragments of medieval stained glass in south chapel east window, late C19 stained
glass in nave and chancel windows. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North
Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5153861873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings