History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sidney Hill Cottage Homes and Attached Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchill, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3353 / 51°20'6"N

Longitude: -2.8046 / 2°48'16"W

OS Eastings: 344041

OS Northings: 159880

OS Grid: ST440598

Mapcode National: GBR JF.W579

Mapcode Global: VH7CN.BPNR

Entry Name: Sidney Hill Cottage Homes and Attached Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33951

Location: Churchill, North Somerset, BS25

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Churchill

Built-Up Area: Dinghurst

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Churchill

Listing Text

ST 45 NW CHURCHILL C.P. FRONT STREET (south side)

8/83 Sidney Hill Cottage Homes and
attached Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

G.V. II

Wesleyan Almshouses. Dated 1907 (on plaque under central archway). By Silcock
and Reay. Brick with some stone copings and plain tile roofs, wrought iron to
gates. 12 cottages on U-shaped plan in Arts and Crafts Vernacular style.
1 storey and attics. Windows are 3-light wooden casements with small leaded
panes, those to attic under gables. Tudor-arched doorways with plank doors and
flat hoods on carved consoles. Tall brick stacks. Open hexagonal wooden cupola
over central entrance archway. Hill family crest above entrance arch on north
front. Boundary walls of brick with limestone mid course and stone copings
2 metres high. Ornamental stone vases at intervals on piers and 2.5 metres high
central gatepiers to north entrance with renewed ball finials. 2-leaf wrought
iron gates with decorative overthrow; further single leaf gates at east and west
corners and also central 2-leaf gates on south boundary wall with pineapple
finials to piers. Erected at the expense of Sidney Hill of Langford House and
inspired by the painting 'Harbour of Refuge' of 1872 by Frederick Walker, now in
the Tate Gallery. (Builder, January 1907; The Studio, April 1907).


Listing NGR: ST4404159880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.