History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower Approximately 300 Metres North West of Powdermill Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Winford, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3766 / 51°22'35"N

Longitude: -2.6475 / 2°38'51"W

OS Eastings: 355026

OS Northings: 164371

OS Grid: ST550643

Mapcode National: GBR JN.SGRS

Mapcode Global: VH890.2N6K

Entry Name: Clock Tower Approximately 300 Metres North West of Powdermill Cottage

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Last Amended: 13 December 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33990

Location: Winford, North Somerset, BS40

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Winford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Winford

Listing Text

ST 56 SE WINFORD LITTLETON LANE

SP/796 Clock Tower at Powdermill Cottage

II

Clock tower, formerly part of mill premises. Probably late C18 or Early C19. Small
squared and coursed limestone to thin, slab-like ashlar quoins, roof destroyed. A
tower about 2.5m square and 5m high, now incomplete, and the original height not
known. To the north, or river front is a square doorway with ashlar jabms and stone
lintel; above this an oculus in brick, filled with brick but containing a central
ashlar block with opening for a shaft or clock drive. To the left an opening for a
small window, but without lintol and with damaged masonry over; at the back a further
doorway, with ashlar jambs and remains at responds of a brick cambered arch. The
interior of the walling has remains of plastering, and is built in rubble; there are
two remnants of bonding timbers or plates which may have carried joists or small
beams over the door openings. Although now ruinous and in a not very stable state,
this is an important remnant from the large powder mill complex formerly on the site
from about 1650 to 1820's. It is thought that the tower was attached either to a
small chapel, or to site offices, but it now stands isolated. It has considerable
historic interest for the site (Avon County SMR entry 2190 for more complete
information on the complex).


Listing NGR: ST5508064304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.