This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.361 / 51°21'39"N
Longitude: -2.7657 / 2°45'56"W
OS Eastings: 346786
OS Northings: 162719
OS Grid: ST467627
Mapcode National: GBR JH.TH1R
Mapcode Global: VH894.01RY
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34023
Location: Wrington, North Somerset, BS40
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Wrington
Built-Up Area: Wrington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 46 SE WRINGTON C.P. STATION ROAD (west side)
5/157 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C13 foundation, remodelled with the addition of a west
tower c.1450, restored 1859 with further restoration to tower in 1948. Finely
jointed squared and coursed dressed stone, some coursed rubble to clerestory, with
ashlar dressings, stone copings and stone tile roof to chancel, lead roofs to
remainder. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch.
5-light Perpendicular windows with panelled, chevron cusped tracery and hoodmoulds
to both aisles, similar 3-light windows to clerestory. Chancel has 3-light
Perpendicular window to north and south walls but a renewed 5-light C13 east window with
Decorated tracery. Buttresses with set-offs, gargoyles and crocketted pinnacles
to aisles, trefoil pierced triangular parapets to aisles and nave. Fine angelus
bell turret with pierced panelled sides to nave-chancel gable apex. 2 statue
niches to chancel angle buttresses. Tall 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses
which develop into crocketted pinnacles at top stage, moulded string courses and
trefoil pierced triangular parapet with gargoyles and corner pinnacles. West
facade has Tudor-arched doorway with panelled reveals and heraldic shields to
spandrels. 2-leaf plank and batten door. 5-light window above. 2nd stage to
north and south has blind 2-light openings with hoodmoulds and lozenge stops.
Bell openings with close piercing. South porch with set-back buttresses,
quatrefoil pierced parapet and south-east corner stair turret. Hollow-moulded
outer doorway and similarly moulded inner door with hoodmould and 2-leaf plank
door. Statue niche with headless statue above door and stone early C19 busts to
John Locke and Hannah More either side of door. Face corbels for former parvise
above. Interior. 4-bay nave arcades with clustered shafts and vestigial
floral and figure capitals. Compartmented tie beam roof with carved bosses and
angel corbels. Tower arch has panelled reveals and fine fan vault below bell
stage. Tie beam roofs to aisles, C19 barrel vault to chancel. Fittings. Nave
has Perpendicular octagonal font with angel panels, C16 rood screen with some
renewal, C19 Perpendicular style pulpit and in the south aisle, stone effigy of a
priest of c.1340. Wall monument to Hannah More of 1833 above south door.
Chancel has 1832 Gothic reredos by Charles Barry. Late C19 stained glass in
aisles, east window and tower west window. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4678862719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings