History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Redhill, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3658 / 51°21'57"N

Longitude: -2.7243 / 2°43'27"W

OS Eastings: 349668

OS Northings: 163224

OS Grid: ST496632

Mapcode National: GBR JK.T7F5

Mapcode Global: VH88Y.QXMT

Entry Name: Church of Christ Church

Listing Date: 29 August 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34034

Location: Wrington, North Somerset, BS40

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Wrington

Built-Up Area: Redhill

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Redhill

Listing Text

ST 46 SE
5/161

WRINGTON
REDHILL

Church of Christ Church

II

Anglican Parish Church. 1844, by James Wilson. Squared lias over ashlar plinth
and limestone dressings, Welsh slate roof. Wide nave, shallow chancel, west tower,
south porch, organ chamber and vestry to north. In a simple early English style
with lancets under hoods; nave, south, 1 + 3 windows, diagonal buttresses to corners,
square between windows, all to 2 offsets; gabled porch with diagonal buttresses,
inner plank doors. Chancel has single light south, stepped triplet east, 2 singles
north, diagonal buttresses. Crenellated flat-roofed organ chamber, lancet east
and west, plank door in pointed double chamfer surround)north, then 3 nave lancets,
but no intermediate buttresses; diagonal buttress to corner. Tower in 2 stages
plus crenellation. Blocked doorway to west lancet at first level and paired lancets
to bell stage over moulded string, surmounted by crenellations over moulded string.
Interior: very simple unaisled space, colour-washed, plain reveals to lancets;
2 arch arcade to organ chamber, double chamfer arches on octagonal
columns. Five-bay arch-braced queen post trusses with turned dropped finials,
carried on corbels to north side only.
Simple chamfer arch to tower; single chamfer arch on slender
responds to stiff-leaf capitals. Plain boarded pitched ceiling to chancel. South
side of chancel has 1874 memorial window; east windows signed
A K Nicholson, London,1931, to Mary Monica Cunliffe Wills.
Stone altar table; Jacobean oak altar table in nave and Jacobean parish chest.
Tiled floors to chancel and tower, otherwise wood block.
Simple late C19 pews. Good brass lectern. Complex font with
8 attached colonnettes. All very basic and clinical (Pevsner, N Somerset and
Bristol; 1958)

Listing NGR: ST4966863224

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.