History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5806 / 51°34'50"N

Longitude: -2.3354 / 2°20'7"W

OS Eastings: 376856

OS Northings: 186914

OS Grid: ST768869

Mapcode National: GBR 0N0.Y30

Mapcode Global: VH95N.GJQN

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 10 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129348

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34315

Location: Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire, GL9

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Hawkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hawkesbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hawkesbury

Listing Text

HAWKESBURY C.P. HAWKESBURY
ST 78 NE
4/102 The Old Vicarage

G.V. II

Vicarage,now a house. Late C15th, altered c.1700; rear wing C18th; altered c.1800
and restored 1970s/80s. Rubble; hall, parlour and (?) kitchen to main range;
3 rooms to rear kitchen and bakehouse wing. Single storey and attics in
3 gables with ball finials (C20th); 2 storeys and attics to rear wing. 4
windows on ground floor, cross windows, some C20th; 3 windows to rear wing,
mixture of 2- and 3- light casements. Central C19th 2 storey gabled porch with
plank door under 4-centred head. Interior: the parlour is a fine panelled room
of C.1700 with a bolection moulded fire surround and duck's nest grate;
the hall has a stop chamfered beam and a staircase with turned balusters and
a moulded string and hardrail (the C17th panelling and 2 studded doors in
moulded surrounds were inserted c.1970) the former kitchen to the left has
chamfered beams and a very fine inserted carved stone fireplace with panelled
and moulded jambs, late C15th or C16th (from Wotton under Edge); hall chamber,
fireplace with stone surrounds and depressed 4-centred head; roof, remains of
one arch-braced collar beam truss with windbrace housings; other trusses are
C19th.


Listing NGR: ST7685786910

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.