History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coach House, Stables and Pigsty 40 Yards to North of Swangrove House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5711 / 51°34'16"N

Longitude: -2.2946 / 2°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 379679

OS Northings: 185847

OS Grid: ST796858

Mapcode National: GBR 0N8.GP5

Mapcode Global: VH95P.5RSY

Entry Name: Coach House, Stables and Pigsty 40 Yards to North of Swangrove House

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Last Amended: 10 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129381

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34392

Location: Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire, GL9

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Hawkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hawkesbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Didmarton

Listing Text

HAWKESBURY C.P. SWANGROVE
ST 78 NE
4/178 Coach House, Stables
and pigsty 40 yards
to north of Swangrove
17.9.52 (formerly listed as Folly
to Swangrove Rouse under
Little Badmwton)

G.V. II*

Coach-house, stables and pigsty, now a garage with storage. Circa 1750
by Thomas Wright of Durham, restored C20th by C D Carus Wilson. Rendered
rubble; castellated brick parapet with ashlar coping; hipped Cotswold stone
slate roofs, one slate. 1 : 3 : 1 bays, the outer ones are in lower and
slightly recessed wings. Single light casement windows with plain stone
surrounds and under drip moulds, the outer ones are blocked. Coach-house
to left with square headed carriage entry at side. To the right is a tack room
with a lean-to pigsty behind. Stables in centre with hay-loft above; central
plank door. One of a number of Wright's buildings for the 4th Duke of Beaufort
and part of his best collection of garden and park buildings dating from
1748 - 1756. Journal of Garden History, Vol I No 3. Country Life, 9.X.71.


Listing NGR: ST7967985847

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.