This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4621 / 51°27'43"N
Longitude: -2.3167 / 2°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 378095
OS Northings: 173724
OS Grid: ST780737
Mapcode National: GBR 0PL.93S
Mapcode Global: VH967.SJM1
Entry Name: Lord Nelson Public House, and the North Wing
Listing Date: 17 September 1952
Last Amended: 10 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34483
Location: Marshfield, South Gloucestershire, SN14
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Marshfield
Built-Up Area: Marshfield
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Marshfield
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
MARSHFIELD C.P. HIGH STREET (east Side)
14/70 Lord Nelson Public House,
17.9.52 and the North Wing
G.V. (formerly listed as Lord Nelson Inn
under Market Place)
House, now a public house. Circa 1700. Ashlar; Cotswold stone slate roof
with coped raised verges; moulded eaves cornice. 2 storeys and cellars.
3 bays with chanelled end pilasters and moulded string over ground floor.
8 pane glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves and with panelled aprons.
6 panel door to right, under overlight and in bolection moulded surround,
decorative scroll and flower frieze; all under a carved stone shell porch.
Further C20 door to right. To the north is an early - mid C19 wing: ashlar,
half-hipped slate roof; 2 storeys; 2 bays, glazing bar sash windows, 16-pane
to left and bay to right and central C20 door under flat stone hood on brackets.
Local example of provincial baroque, possibly incorporating an earlier structure,
in an important setting at the end of the village street.
Listing NGR: ST7809573724
Other nearby listed buildings