This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3643 / 51°21'51"N
Longitude: -2.4092 / 2°24'33"W
OS Eastings: 371605
OS Northings: 162887
OS Grid: ST716628
Mapcode National: GBR JZ.T8PD
Mapcode Global: VH96L.6Y6Z
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32502
Location: Englishcombe, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Englishcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 76 SW ENGLISHCOMBE
1.2.56 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Late C12; chancel altered early C14; late C15 alterations to
nave and south chapel; restored 1885 and south porch added. Consists of nave,
south chapel and south porch, central tower and chancel. Coursed, squared
freestone and rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof over nave and lead
roof over chancel. Tower of 3 stages on a plinth; thin clasping buttresses
to upper 2 stages embattled parapet and pinnacles; single-light opening with
cusped head on second stage and 2-light bell-chamber opening with pierced
lozenge panels; square projecting stairtower to first stage at north-east.
Nave: 2-light clerestorey window on south side with 4-centred heads; 3-light
C19 mullion and transom west window in a late Perpendicular style; two
3-light late Perpendicular style north windows under 4-centred heads;
buttresses with off-sets between; blocked north door in chamfered and 4-centre
headed surround. The rubble-built south chapel has a flat roof concealed
behind an ashlar embattled parapet; angle buttresses with off-sets; and a
4-light window with cinquefoil heads and under a square dripmould having
lozenge stops. Chancel: corbel table with carved human and beasts' heads,
some plain on the north side; 2-light south window with trefoil heads and
quatrefoil light above; 3-light east window of reticulated tracery, a
continuous string course rises to form angle buttresses over the windows;
angle buttresses with off-sets on east end rising to form pinnacles, embattled
gable on east end rising to form pinnacles, embattled gable between. South
porch of ashlar with an embattled parapet; moulded and pointed doorway.
Interior. South chapel has triple chamfered arch from nave; panelled
reveals to window and squint to porch formed of 2 ogival triangles; ogee-
headed piscina. The tower arches to the nave and chancel have attached half-
columns, scalloped capitals, decorative scallops to north-west and monster's
face on column at north-east; the arches above are later, double-chamfered and
pointed. On north side of tower are 2 arches of a blank arcade decorated with
3-dimensional carving of 2 rows of zig-zag with beading between; columns with
cushion, scalloped and carved head capitals; the arcade continues behind the
north-west pier of the tower. Chancel: roll moulded inner moulding to
windows; scalloped capital at north west; on east face of the tower arch is a
mediaeval statue either of the infant Christ or from a tomb. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST7160462886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings