This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3822 / 51°22'55"N
Longitude: -2.4308 / 2°25'51"W
OS Eastings: 370112
OS Northings: 164878
OS Grid: ST701648
Mapcode National: GBR JY.S38M
Mapcode Global: VH893.TJ89
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32548
Location: Newton St. Loe, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Newton St. Loe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 76 SW NEWTON ST. LOE
8/141 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish Church. C14, altered in C15 (tower) and subsequently; restored with
addition of north aisle in 1857 by C.E. Davis of Bath. Consists of west
tower, nave, north aisle and north porch, south aisle and south porch, chancel
and north organ chamber. Rubble, and coursed rubble with freestone dressings,
stone slate roof with coped raised verges. Perpendicular style West tower, of
3 stages with diagonal buttresses, ashlar embattled parapet and panelled
pinnacles; 3- and 2-light bell chamber windows with stone louvres; 3-light
Perpendicular style west window under a moulded hoodmould with pentagonal stops;
stair to north-east, square to lower part and polygonal above. South aisle.
Blocked west window; 3 heavily restored Decorated style windows in double
chamfered arches; squat buttresses. Gabled and projecting south porch with
2-light windows to the sides, under ogee heads; double chamfered outer arch.
Chancel. Rebuilt 1857; 2-light Decorated style windows and 3-light C19 east
window with reticulated tracery; squat buttresses. North aisle of 1857 has
plain ashlar parapet and crocketted pinnacles; 3 Decorated style windows;
Norman style doorway to crypt at west end; gabled north porch with tall outer
archway. South door in ogee-headed surround with ball flower ornament,
restored hoodmould with head stops; decorative ironwork on the door.
Interior. Tower arch is double chamfered with half columns and polygonal
capitals. North arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers. C14 south arcade of
4 large and one small bay at the east: piers of 4 half columns and shafts,
forming a broad quatrefoil on plan; moulded capitals with ball flower
decoration and double chamfered arches. Chancel and roofs of 1857. Font is
C19, in an early Gothic style: ashlar, circular bowl with stiff-leaf to
underside, cylindrical stem. Pulpit, screen and pews, also 1857, enriched with
tracery. Monuments. South aisle. Early C18 Royal Arms. Joseph Langton,
died 1701, a very fine monument worthy of James Gibbs (Pevsner), marble,
Corinthian columns and central pilaster support on entablature and segmental
pediment with putti and urns, gadrooned bases on seraph's heads and full
armorial bearings; surrounding the vault are cast iron railings with ball and
spear finials. Many other C18 and early C19 marble plaques, especially: Ann
Cobb, died 1749, urn on a bracketted cornice, by Hoare; Abel Moysey, died
1780, of coloured marbles, a weeping woman by an urn. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST7011264878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings