This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3627 / 51°21'45"N
Longitude: -2.4638 / 2°27'49"W
OS Eastings: 367803
OS Northings: 162727
OS Grid: ST678627
Mapcode National: GBR JX.TDXK
Mapcode Global: VH899.70TP
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 1 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129527
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32713
Location: Marksbury, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Marksbury
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. STANTON PRIOR
Church of St. Lawrence e
Anglican Parish Church. C12/C13 origin, mainly C15 and heavy restoration of
1860. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate and double roman tile roofs with
weathered, raised coped verges. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel. Mainly
Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with polygonal north-east stair turret and
weathered, diagonal buttresses; first stage has a sharp pointed 2-light west
window, Decorated of 1860, second stage is blank except at south which has a
single square light, third stage has one 2-light window under hoodmould, trefoil-
pierced blanking, per side; castellated parapet, corner crocketed finials. The
buttressed nave is wider than tower, one of which buttresses it engulfs, to south
are two 2-light, cusped windows with hoodmoulds flanked by 2 similar single lights,
ashlar parapet, scratch dial, to north a similar single light and parapet are
dominated by a very large and deep north porch, gabled with very thick walls
bearing, to east, good C17 tablets, pointed arch springing from chamfered impost;
within, a similar opening is filled by a low almost segmental headed door under an
empty image niche, large recess and shelf in east wall, stoup. Chancel has to
north one cusped single light and one lancet, tripartite, pointed east windows
under continuous string, all of 1860, at south 2 cusped single lights flank a
chamfered round headed door dated 1634. Interior: heavy chamfered tower arch,
wagon roof with brattished wall-plate and bosses, some armorial, stoup in wall
thickness by porch, image niche in south wall, lancet in chancel cut from C12
fragment. Fittings: plain octagonal font, C12? One good monument: Cox, 1650.
Man and wife kneel by draped urn and skull below flying arcade, unlearned
pilasters carry elaborate frieze and open pediment with headless figure, below
children kneel around text plaque, below that apron with putto.
(Source. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol,
Listing NGR: ST6780362727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings