This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3326 / 51°19'57"N
Longitude: -2.5767 / 2°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 359918
OS Northings: 159438
OS Grid: ST599594
Mapcode National: GBR JR.W8K1
Mapcode Global: VH897.9R5S
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas and Mary
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32829
Location: Stowey-Sutton, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Stowey-Sutton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 55 NE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY
5/89 Church of St. Nicholas and Mary
Anglican parish church. C15 and C19 alterations. Squared and coursed sandstone
to tower and chancel, squared and coursed red sandstone and lias in alternate
bands to nave. Ashlar to tower parapet, freestone openings and copings, slate
roof to nave, plain tile roof to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north
porch. Nave south wall has 2 recut cusped light Perpendicular windows under flat
hoodmoulds with lozenge stops, 1 blocked Tudor arched window and one single light
triangular headed C19 window. 2 similar Perpendicular windows to north wall.
Chancel on both north and south walls has a recut 2-light perpendicular window.
Chancel north wall has in addition a Tudor arched doorway with C19 plank door and
above, a mediaeval statue of God the Father set in shallow niche. C19 three-
light Perpendicular style east window. Junction between nave and chancel on the
north side has a quoin carved with shears: symbol of the Wool Staplers' Guild.
Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, polygonal north east corner embattled
stair turret and pierced lozenge parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. West
facade has a tall 3-light Perpendicular window to 1st stage. Moulded
stringcourses, 2 cusped light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing and
hoodmoulds, moulded cornice below parapet with fine gargoyles, one to each, face
including a ram's head. Gabled north porch with Tudor arched doorway, plain C19
north doorway and plank door. Interior. Nave has double chamfered tower arch
and C19 wagon roof on mediaeval wall plate. C19 double chamfered chancel arch
with C19 open rafter roof with transverse tie beams. Fittings. Nave at tower
arch has an octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels. Charles II coat
of arms dated 1660 over north door. 3 fine wall monuments on south wall to the
Jones and Sandford families: earliest to William Jones (died 1748) by Thomas Paty.
C19 Perpendicular style pulpit. Over the chancel arch and on chancel walls are
fine 1915 canvas murals depicting the Day of Judgement and scenes from Christ's
life by Henry Strachey. 1846 floral stained glass in east window.
(Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5991859438
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings