This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3087 / 51°18'31"N
Longitude: -2.6328 / 2°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 355987
OS Northings: 156809
OS Grid: ST559568
Mapcode National: GBR JP.XSHN
Mapcode Global: VH89D.BC0L
Entry Name: Gournay Court
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Last Amended: 15 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32843
Location: West Harptree, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: West Harptree
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 55 NE WEST HARPTREE BATH ROAD (south side)
5/103 Gournay Court (formerly listed as
21.9.60 Gournay Court with pair of gate piers
G.V. leading to garden adjacent to West
Country house. Circa 1600 with c.1650 additions; further additions and
restorations in 1910-13 and 1928-54. Squared and coursed red sandstone with
freestone dressings, copings, slate roofs, ashlar stacks. C17 building schemes
created a main block with later rear wing forming an L shaped plan. Grand
symmetrical north front of 2 storeys with attics and cellar, 7 bays. All windows
are ovolo cross mullions with small leaded pane casements, those to attic storey
set within 4 gables and under flat hoodmoulds. Central advanced 2 storey porch
with glazed bay and balcony above with strapwork balustrade. Balcony gives
access to Long Gallery under a basket handled arch topped by a curvilinear gable
with spoked oval window. Doorway is framed by attached Roman Doric columns and
triglyph frieze over Tudor arched entrance with the Buckland and Phelips armorial
shields in the spandrels. 6-light glazed bay above is flanked by Ionic columns
on bases with carved scrolls proclaiming 'Alltogether Vanity'. Inside, the porch
has semi-circular niches either side with seats and a 2-leaf studded plank door.
Moulded plinth course, moulded stringcourses to ground and first floors, fine lead
downpipes and rainwater heads, ball finials to gable ends and tall stacks set on
the diagonal in 4 pairs. Range to the rear of 2 storeys with identical cross
mullions and several 1910 gabled dormers. Interior. Ground floor left hand
room has a Tudor arched fireplace with strapwork entablature and panelling brought
from Beaudesert, Staffs. after 1932. Ground floor right hand room has a fine
Tudor arched fireplace with grand strapwork overmantel. Early C17 staircase with
round arched balustrade, fruit clusters and vases on newel posts and decorative
pendants. Dining Room in rear wing has fireplace with stop fluted jambs and
embattled mantlepiece. lst floor left hand bedroom has fine early C17 fireplace
with strapwork overmantel containing royal coat of arms and caryatids, panelled
walls and 1650s plaster ceiling roundel of oak leaves and ties. 4 bay Long
Gallery to attic with ribbed coved roof and acorn bosses. Built by Francis
Buckland. (R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957).
Listing NGR: ST5598756809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings