History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paine's Brewery and Related Buildings Forming Two Courtyards to the Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in St Neots, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2273 / 52°13'38"N

Longitude: -0.2702 / 0°16'12"W

OS Eastings: 518247

OS Northings: 260200

OS Grid: TL182602

Mapcode National: GBR H2L.BJ4

Mapcode Global: VHGMF.88JW

Entry Name: Paine's Brewery and Related Buildings Forming Two Courtyards to the Rear

Listing Date: 10 January 1951

Last Amended: 24 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 53278

Location: St. Neots, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: St. Neots

Built-Up Area: St Neots

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: St Neots St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Saint Neots

Listing Text

TL 1860 ST NEOTS MARKET SQUARE
(south side)

1/26 Nos 32 to 36 (even)
10.1.51

GV II

The address and the description shall be amended to read:

TL 18 60 ST NEOTS MARKET SQUARE
(south side)

47-/1/26 Nos 32 to 36 (even)
10.01.51 "Paine's Brewery" and related
buildings forming two courtyards
to the rear

GV II

after the line ending "projecting shop window", add:

To the rear of the brewery, reached through the elliptical-arched carriageway, are three
ranges of industrial structures, forming two courtyards. All were used at one time or another
in the brewing process. They are of several distinct builds, with the earliest actually predating
the main range to Market Square and very likely of the C17; the latest dates structures date
to the early part of the C20. This assortment of industrial buildings vividly illustrates the
history of Paine's brewery over two centuries. In addition, these courtyards also contain a
handsome collection of industrial building with definite architectural character. Short two
storey, red brick structure on the left as one enters the brewyard from the carriage arch; tile
roof and one-window range. Early C19 stock brick structure with slate roof and three-
window range follows; somewhat domestic character with door of original design near centre
of elevation; overlight; segmental-arched opening; to rear elevation, facing courtyard to the
east, several windows with sashes of Regency period design. This structure may be
contemporary with the range to Market Square or even slightly earlier. Slightly lower two-
storey structure is timber framed with red brick infill, possibly of C17 origin, although most
of the internal floor joists appear contemporary with the early C19 brick skin; steeply pitched
roof of tile also consistent with earlier date. To the south a somewhat higher two storey,
brick block with three-window range and roof of slate, early C19. At the end of this range,
with good brick polychromed detailing to three elevations, is the former brewhouse and
brewhouse stack, by far the most architecturally distinguished and noteworthy structure in
this courtyard; the date late C19 : segmental-arched openings to ground and first floors, two-
window range, with lunette to facing gable; chimney set back on right return from which
projects a single-storey block with lunette to south elevation and detailing of the same
character as that on the taller structure. Similar elevation to east courtyard. The west side of
this first courtyard is formed from the listed public house immediately on the right as one
enters the carriageway, the former Bull Inn (q.v., listed in grade II). Lining the rest of this
side is a single-storey brick range of early C20 date with tile roofs and four hipped dormers;
range interrupted by broken join. The south end of the courtyard is closed by structures of
this build; those at the southwest corner with roofs partly collapsed. King post trusses of early
C20 date to structures at southeast corner of site; roof of one with louvre; single-storey open
shed of two bays, with lathe to facing west gable, and ventilation tile to roof; the brick piers
supporting the roof take the form of four half rounds. The east range of the east courtyard
dominated by a very picturesque grouping of tile roofed, one and two storey buildings, the
southmost with a facing gable and broad eaves, followed by a single-storey structure with a
pair of gabled dormers; these two structures are very likely C1900. Next in the sequence,
moving from south to north, is the spiky Victorian Gothic structure with date stone
indicating 1976 and bearing William Paine's initials. The architectural pretence of this
structure suggests that it may have been the yard office. Gable end with broached stack to
north of this range, then a single storey range incorporating some C18 timber framing. Here
the rear buildings to Nos. 32, 34 and 36 abut structures specified in the list description for
Nos. 40 and 42 Market Square (q.v.).

------------------------------------

1.
1590 MARKET SQUARE
(South Side)

Nos 32 to 36
TL 1860 1/26 10.1.51.
II GV

2.
Circa 1831 with symetrical facade, 3 storeys. 7 windows, 3 middle in slightly
projecting bay carried up with pediment surmounted by weather vane. Gault
brick with stone dressings. Stone cornice surmounted by panelled parapet.
Square-headed windows with rusticated arches and glazing bars, central
arched recess with Venetian 1st floor window with side-lights blocked, above
at 2nd floor clock under bracketted, arched head with panel below inscribed
"ESTD 1831". Central carriageway with semi- elliptical rusticated arch.
Good wooden shopfronts; No 32 with Ionic half columns carrying entablature
with scrolled ends; No 36 with narrow paired brackets carrying entablature with
modillioned cornice; projecting shop window.

Nos l6 to 46 even form a group.

Listing NGR: TL1824760200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.