This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1416 / 53°8'29"N
Longitude: -2.8772 / 2°52'38"W
OS Eastings: 341416
OS Northings: 360851
OS Grid: SJ414608
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.63L2
Mapcode Global: WH88M.S92F
Entry Name: Coach House Court North of Stable Court with Riding School and Yard Walls
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55265
Location: Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 4160 EATON C.P. EATON PARK
9/69 Coach-House Court north
of Stable Court with
Riding School and Yard
Coach-House, Covered Court, Gatehouse Range and Riding School with
Walled Yard, 1870's, by Alfred Waterhouse for 3rd Marquis and 1st Duke
of Westminster. Banded sandstone, stone-dressed brick, timber
framing, shaped red tile roofs. The courtyard has buff and red banded
sandstone walls, stone paved floor and glazed roof of 3 ridges on two
lines of four cast iron columns carrying lattice girders.
The East Range is the Coach-House (which contains the Westminster
coaches). Six ornate framed, cross-braced and boarded sliding doors
in camber-arched openings to yard. The internal walls are of glazed
brick with stone corbels supporting a 2-ridged open roof; 2 cast iron
columns carry a lattice girder under the central valley. Diagonal
boarded undercloaking to roof, carried on timber trusses of fine
The South Range has stone-ribbed brick vaulted arched carriageway
under north range of Stable Court (q.v.).
The West Range contains the Riding School, with walled yard, north.
Pair of 6-panel pine doors of great height in arched opening to yard,
with ornate wrought iron hinges and bronze furniture. The interior
has a small viewing gallery at the far end, sloped boarding to protect
rider's legs, and a glazed roof on plain steel trusses.
The North (Gatehouse) Range has a carriage entrance of 2 bays carried
on 3 pointed stone arches.
External Elevations: The north (gatehouse) front has a lower storey
of stone-dressed red brick, timber-framed upper storeys in a complex,
asymmetrical composition. Two storeys, timber-framed (with expressed
stairway, left) over central archway. Two storey wings to each side:
2 bays, right, with jettied gable, 1 half-dormer and a boldly shaped
stone chimney on the ridge; 1 bay, left, simpler, with gable chimney.
Outer wings of 1½ storeys: 3 bays with projecting front gable at end
and central hipped projection, right; 2 bays, left, simpler, with 2
stone camber archways, now blocked. Stone and oak windows with shaped
surrounds and mullions; leaded glazing; carved bargeboards; ornate
finials of stone and oak. The west (Riding School and Yard) elevation
has stone buttressed, plinthed, banded and coped yard wall, left, and
back of Riding School with stone walls and corbelled roof parapets and
with jettied oak-framed gabled penthouse viewing gallery with shaped
circular chimney. The east (back of coach-house) elevation is of
stone-dressed brick, simply expressed.
Listing NGR: SJ4141660851
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings