History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tilston, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0497 / 53°2'59"N

Longitude: -2.8108 / 2°48'38"W

OS Eastings: 345743

OS Northings: 350582

OS Grid: SJ457505

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.CV0N

Mapcode Global: WH891.SLPV

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55187

Location: Tilston, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tilston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tilston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tilston

Listing Text

SJ 45 SE TILSTON CHURCH ROAD
(East side)

1/46 Church of St Mary
1.3.67
II*

Church, C16, on site of earlier church (Rectors since 1301), with
probably earlier work in tower. 1659 Leche chapel. Major rebuild by
J Douglas, 1877-79, including new chancel, vestry and nave roof. Red
sandstone with steeply pitched tile roof. Nave, chancel, west tower,
north doorway, chapel and vestry. 3 bay nave has deeply recessed
3- light mullion windows with Perpendicular hood moulds between
stepped buttresses with splayed plinths. Perpendicular hood moulds to
north and blocked south doorways. Sundial on south-west buttress.
Embattled tower with stepped corner buttresses, low pitched early
Tudor west doorway with hood mould. Blocked south doorway. Deeply
recessed pointed window with reticulated tracery and bell openings.
Canopied niche over west doorway. Figure stops to hood moulds, figure
gargoyles.
Interior: Beam inscribed "PW (ARBURTON) 1618 AW (ARBURTON)". Reused
Elizabethan coffering in chancel. J Douglas scissor truss nave roof.
Slat baluster altar rail and gate, gate dated 1677. Altar table
(altered) dated 1677, and C18 early Georgian octagonal pulpit. Most
glass is C19, some early medieval painted glass. (Pevsner and
Hubbard, Richards).


Listing NGR: SJ4574350582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.