History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 1 and 3 and Attached Forecourt Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke, City of Plymouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3792 / 50°22'44"N

Longitude: -4.1687 / 4°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 245896

OS Northings: 55500

OS Grid: SX458555

Mapcode National: GBR R5Z.R9

Mapcode Global: FRA 2841.KQ3

Entry Name: Number 1 and 3 and Attached Forecourt Railings

Listing Date: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473173

Location: Plymouth, PL3

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Devonport St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Millbrook

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4555 ALBERT ROAD, Stoke
740-1/41/638 (South side)
Nos.1 AND 3
and attached forecourt railings

GV II

Asylum (orphanage), now offices. Mid-late C19, extended 1879.
Stucco with stucco detail; dry slate hipped roofs, the centre
roof on bracketed cornice, the lower flanking roofs on
modillion cornices over a moulded entablature; 1 rendered
stack left of centre; cast-iron ogee gutters.
PLAN: overall U-shaped double-depth plan, the original part
with 2 rooms at the front flanking a central entrance hall,
the flanking wings each with 1 room at the front and deep rear
projection.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and 3 storeys; overall symmetrical
recessed 5-window original front plus flanking 2-storey wings
with wide tripartite windows. Original sashes with glazing
bars within moulded architraves to central part and to returns
and rear; paired sashes to centre, and left and right, of 3rd
floor. Front of each wing has tripartite window to each floor:
ground floor with Tuscan mullions to Venetian window; 1st
floor with Tuscan mullions plus entablature, which has
pedimented centre break, and the 2nd floor with recessed
moulded architraves and moulded sill. Other stucco detail
includes: plinth; channelled rustication to wings and central
tripartite round-arched doorway; moulded entablature above
ground floor; mid-floor panel above 1st floor; moulded string
near heads of 2nd-floor windows and mid-floor cornice above.
Panel to right-hand wing bears the inscription: "For the
destitute female orphans of sailors, soldiers and Royal
Marines; Patroness the Queen".
INTERIOR: not inspected but likely to reflect the high quality
of the exterior.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: simple low wrought-iron railings with
arrow-head finials.


Listing NGR: SX4590455505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.