This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4826 / 51°28'57"N
Longitude: -1.05 / 1°3'0"W
OS Eastings: 466062
OS Northings: 176387
OS Grid: SU660763
Mapcode National: GBR Q13.9Z
Mapcode Global: VHCZ3.RZ7T
Entry Name: Purley Lodge and the Gatehouse
Listing Date: 9 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473215
Location: Purley on Thames, West Berkshire, RG8
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Purley on Thames
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Purley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SE PURLEY PURLEY LANE
3/15 Purley Lodge and
House, now subdivided, probably incorporating the remains of a medieval Church which later became a rectory. Complex building comprising fragmentary C13 core with C17 timber framed remains to north refronted in C18 and 2 mid C19 parallel ranges added to south.
External appearance mainly C19. The Gatehouse, to east, is stuccoed with incised lines and tiled roof 2 storeys; 3 sashes with horns. End chimney stack. The
north or garden elevation of Purley Lodge, containing earlier wing, is of 2 storeys stuccoed with 3 sashes including 2 tripartite ones and doorcase with console brackets and pilasters and has a tower with hipped roof at its eastern end. Western elevation of Purley Lodge is of 2 storeys and attics stuccoed with
2 dormers breaking through the moulded cornice. 2:4 windows, sashes with horns. Late C19 doorcase set in angle turret having wooden penticed weather hood and modern door.
Purley Lodge retains traces of C17 timber framing in the cellars and an C18
wine cellar, probable early C19 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread and scrolled tread ends, an early C19 fireplace with eared surround and 6
fielded panelled doors. The Gatehouse retains a most rare medieval lead lined stoup thought to belong to a chapel on the site. This may be the remains
of a church, first mentioned in 1291, which belonged at first to the Lords of
the Manor but passed probably in the C14 to the College of St Edmund in
Salisbury, and was taken into the King's hands at the time of the Dissolution. In 1595 the church was described as "a parsonage propriate sometime belonging
to the dissolved College of St Edmund". By 1623, this building had became a rectory and was still one in 1914. (V.C.H Berkshire Vol III P.422)
Listing NGR: SU6606276387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings