History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Swithin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Weston, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.382 / 52°22'55"N

Longitude: -0.3942 / 0°23'39"W

OS Eastings: 509395

OS Northings: 277206

OS Grid: TL093772

Mapcode National: GBR H0H.P4Q

Mapcode Global: VHFP4.3DZB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Swithin

Listing Date: 28 January 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130116

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54795

Location: Old Weston, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Old Weston

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Old Weston St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Catworth

Listing Text

TL 0877 OLD WESTON BRINGTON ROAD
(East side)

17/76 Parish Church of
28.1.58 St Swithin

II*

Parish church. North doorway c.1200, nave arcades late C13, chancel rebuilt
c.1300, mid C14 north and south aisles, south porch and clerestory added, late
C14 west tower. East wall of chancel and western walls of north aisle rebuilt
in C15. Roofs of nave reconstructed in 1657; the north aisle in 1638, and
south aisle in 1785. Restoration in 1895. Walls of coursed Weldon and Ketton
rubble limestone and dressed stone with some brick repairs. Leaded and plain
tiled roofs. South elevation: West tower faced with rough ashlar, of three
stages with weathered plinth and cornice with gargoyles, belfry window of two
transomed and trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in the two-centred head.
Stair turret in angle with aisle and with small trefoiled lights. Octagonal
broached spire formerly with pinnacles above the broaches; with two tiers of
spirelights, the lower window with three trefoiled lights and quatrefoil in
the gable head. Nave a south aisle with plain parapets. Nave clerestory with
four windows each of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head with external
reveals. South aisle with late C15 eastern window of three cinquefoiled-
lights in a four-centred head and with traceried spandrels in square moulded
label, western window mid C14 of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head
with moulded label. Late C14 south porch with gabled roof, two-centred
archway of two chamfered orders the outer continuous and the inner springing
from attached shafts with moulded capitals. Chancel with two similar windows
of two lights with Y-tracery. Interior: South doorway to south aisle C14 of
two orders, with two-centred arch, door restored with two fleur-de-lis strap
hinges. Nave arcades of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered
orders with a moulded label; octagonal columns and semi circular responds
with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases, (two capitals with nail-head
ornament). Tower arch two-centred of three chamfered orders, outer two
continuous and inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and
hollow-chamfered bases. Doorway to stair turret with chamfered jambs and ogee
head. Chancel arch two-centred of two moulded orders with moulded label,
outer order continuous and inner order springing from attached shafts with
moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases, cut for former screen. Piscenae
in chancel with hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head early C14, in south
aisle with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head. Font, C14, octagonal bowl
with modern base and stem. Roofs; of nave c.1657 incorporating early
material of four, low-pitched bays with cambered tie-beams and short
king-posts with curved tie beams, wall posts on C16 corbels with carved
grotesque heads; inscription on western tie beam 'R.A. 1657 R.E. church W';
north aisle with moulded timbers and dated tie beam 1638, south aisle c.1785.
Wall paintings of note in south aisle, C14 depicting the enthronement of one
bishop by two other bishops, the beheading of St John the Baptist and
St Margaret and St Catherine with other fragments including a Wheel of
Fortune. For monuments and wall slabs see RCHM. Sundial on south-east
buttress of south aisle.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p288
VCH: Huntingdonshire p118
Pevsner: Buildings of England p299
Woodger A: Huntingdonshire Church Towers Archeol J 141 1984


Listing NGR: TL0939577206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.