This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4241 / 52°25'26"N
Longitude: -0.2236 / 0°13'25"W
OS Eastings: 520888
OS Northings: 282168
OS Grid: TL208821
Mapcode National: GBR J1G.XZY
Mapcode Global: VHGLH.2BMH
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130123
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54713
Location: Wood Walton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Wood Walton
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Abbots Ripton with Wood Walton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 28 SW WOOD WALTON CHURCH END
6/80 Church of St Andrew
Former parish church, now redundant and in the Care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. C13 south arcade of nave, C14-C15 West tower, C14 chancel, and early C16 north arcade, but much of the fabric was rebuilt in 1856-9. Coursed limestone rubble with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Plan of West tower, nave with north and south aisles and chancel. West tower embattled of three stages with later, four stage diagonal buttressing. Restored west doorway in pointed arch and west window with ogee tracery in two centred arch. Second stage has a lancet window and the bell stage two light opening with trefoil head in two centred arch with label.
Nave with C15 clerestory of four windows to each side. Two trefoil lights in square head. South aisle has three windows, all C19. Two trefoil lights with ogee tracery in square head. Labels with mask stops. Gabled south porch,
C19, has niche with sculpture of St Andrew in stone. Chancel south wall has two C14 windows of two trefoil lights each with ogee tracery in square head with label. C19 East window of three graduated, trefoil lights in two centred arch. The north wall retains a C13 window of two lights with y tracery. Interior: south nave arcade of four bays. Two centred arches of one unmoulded and one chamfered order on round columns with moulded capitals and bases, except for one which is octagonal. North arcade is also of four bays, early C16. Two centred arches of one continuous chamfered outer order and an inner order also chamfered on half octagonal attached shafts to the responds of narrow piers with embattlement and blank shields of arms to the capitals. Much of the inner wall material is of C19 brick, plastered. Chancel arch, two centred of two chamfered orders, the inner on a corbel. However there is medieval stone on either side of chancel arch. C19 tiled floor to chancel and sanctuary. In the chancel there are two early-mid C19 wall monuments to members of the Hussey family. The font is Victorian in C15 style. There are some C12 tomb slabs against west wall of nave.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p369
R.C.H.M. Hunts. mon. (1)
V.C.H. Hunts Vol. III
Listing NGR: TL2088882168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.